Pony Express

Default Cunningham Passes On

Unless you leave your mainsheet two-blocked as you crank on your halyard.
--
----
Steve

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
Pure geometry. Use your logic sense. If it still doesent
work I will be glad to help out.

Yes, I could use some help. If the leech of a sail (triangle) is say 10%
longer than the luff and you tighten the luff along the luff how does the

leech
ever get stressed. By the time that happened the luff would explode.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Simple Simon

Oh ye of limited imagination. Picture a nice full mainsail that fits
into the prescribed triangle. Now picture a sliding gooseneck on
the boom. Now, for going upwind haul down hard on the down
haul so the boom is about a foot lower than the prescribed
triangle allows. Voila! You have a bigger sail than allowed.

"Oz1" wrote in message ...
On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 12:26:59 -0400, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

You are on the right track. For the answer go to uk.rec.sailing
and see my reply to the 'Reason why Columbia beat Sceptre'
thread.

Hello,
How is it possible "to have a bigger mainsail for the same measured
sailarea " ?

Luff is measured, leech is measured, foot is measured and then
depending on the system used, usually a number of girth measurements.
This system measures the area of the sail.
Pulling on a cunningham doesn't change that!

Oh and how by pulling on the halyard do you "stress the leech"?
Unless of course you don't have a clue.

Oz is clearly clueless.

Hmmmm ya think?

"Peter S/Y Anicula" wrote in message ...
I'll have a guess at this one:
Because it allows you to have a bigger mainsail for the same
measured sailarea than if you used the halyard to the same
purpose.

Another advantage is that it is takes less power to tighten
the cunningham than it does to tighten the halyard. This
makes it usable on cruisers as well.

There are other factors but I don't think that matters much.
To mention one thing, it also stresses the leach if you use
the halyard, but that can be compensated by the tension of
the boom vang or by adjusting the traveller.

--
Peter S/Y Anicula

"Simple Simon" skrev i en meddelelse
Let's see if you are a real sailor and can answer this
question without looking up the answer.

Why was the Cunningham invented?

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
Briggs Swift Cunningham Jr. the captain of the winning
yacht in the 1958
America's Cup has passed on to the pearly gates. In 1958
he invented the
"cunningham"......
Amazing but true facts of sailing.

CM

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Thomas Stewart

Simpleton,

I just returned from UK Rec AND again I find you "Full of S--t"

Your reasoning about the Cunningham making the sail Bigger flies in the
face of logic. When you set the Cunningham the sail is reduced in size.
Period. Reduced in size.

If you ever used a Cunningham G You would know this. When you apply
the Cunningham a fold forms behind the mast in the lower half of the
sail. A seconded folds above the boom in the forward portion. This
happens without changing halyard tension, downhaul or outhaul. This
excess comes from the draft of the sail. The DRAFT IS REDUCED. Reduced.
Shortened, made to be less.

Ths is not cheating. It is an adjustment. the same as a backstay
adjuster, just as a bending mast, jack stays, flattenning reefs,
barbarhauls, etc.

The Cunningham makes the sail smaller, by making it flatter. It changes
the shape of the sail. That's what it was designed to do. It wasn't
designed to make the sail larger!!!

By the way, If you would use a Cunningham on that old, blown out main
of yours "Banana Boat" would sail a helluva lot better.

AND; "I'LL DRINK TO THAT!"

Pony Express

Dinghy term. Implies the mainsheet is in as far as it will go. The block
on the boom touching the block on the traveler - hence 'two-blocked'.
--
----
Steve

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
Unless you leave your mainsheet two-blocked

What the hell is "two-blocked"?

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Horvath

wrote:

You are on the right track. For the answer go to uk.rec.sailing
and see my reply to the 'Reason why Columbia beat Sceptre'
thread.

Hello,
How is it possible "to have a bigger mainsail for the same measured
sailarea " ?

Ever heard of "roach"?

Ave Imperator Bush!
Bush Was Right! Four More Beers!

Simple Simon

What an ignorant putz you are becoming in your dotage,
old boy! Hauling down on the Cunningham cringle does
not reduce sail area; it merely flattens the belly of the sail
somewhat and draws it forward toward the luff. Any extra
material forms a bit of a fold below the cringle.

The use of a Cunningham serves only to cheat the rule that
defines the allowed size of a sail. A sail can be made full and
then stretched downward with a Cunningham to make it more
efficient while beating. Without a Cunningham to flatten the
sail would require the boom to be pulled down on a sliding
gooseneck or the head of the sail to be pulled upwards via
the halyard. Either method results in a sail the no longer fits
into the prescribed triangle which is marked by prominent
black lines. It follows that by cheating with a Cunningham
which, btw, is less efficient than a sliding gooseneck where
the entire boom is drawn down is a ******-rig where a sail
can be flattened and stretched beyond allowed dimensions.

Only in racing is this nonsense and cheating encouraged and
allowed. We cruisers have no need for such subterfuge.

"Thomas Stewart" wrote in message ...
[...]

Simple Simon

Show me where I said a Cunningham in use increases
sail area. I believe I said using a Cunningham allows
a full sail that fits into the triangle to be flattened for
efficiency to weather without its exceeding the dimensions
of the triangle.

I further stated that the Cunningham is a cheat because it
serves a similar purpose as does a sliding gooseneck that
flattens the sail more efficiently than does a Cunningham but
is not allowed by the rules if it results in the boom being
drown down below the lower black line on the mast.

Cunningham cringles and Cunningham tackle allow a mainsail
to be purpose-built fuller than normal to fit the lines and then
allows it to be stretched with just a little inefficiency below
the cringle to a flattened state-a state that if flattened by a
sliding gooseneck the result of which is a violation of the
rules. As long as there is not a flap of sailcloth that hangs
below the black line the rule is not broken if fact although
it is without a doubt being broken in spirit.

I hope this helps.

"Oz1" wrote in message ...

Prescribed triangle?
Yep, that means that if you do as you say, you make a larger than
prescribed/allowed triangle and hence become in breach.
Cappy the black bands are there for a reason!

Now, following your formula,
the wind strengthens to the stage that you require ever increasing
cunningham to maintain the shape (the purpose of the device).
All the while you are increasing sail area? See anything wrong here?

wrote:

[...]

Bobsprit

Ever heard of "roach"?

Scotty's pet name for his wife? I thought it was Gigantis.

Bwahahahahahaha!

RB
Thomas Stewart

Two Blocked mean tackle drawn up as tight as it will go before breaking.
The term comes from motorized hoisting Equip. It is a very dangerous
condition for big Equip.

For "Dinghy" it means no adjustment left.

OT

jlrogers

Actually, "two blocks" goes back at least to the 1500's. It is "...the condition when two blocks of a purchase have come together by
hauling on the fall."

"Sailors Log," Bradley, 1583.