Bobsprit

Default Alien's Video Collection

Here's our updated collection of movies on DVD and VHS, kept on board...you
should have them as well!!! In the slip we have a combi player/DVD. We also
have the notebook PC which can play DVDs with little power consumption...great
when on the hook.

Dead Calm
Jaws 1 & 2
Abandon Ship
And the Sea Will Tell
Deep Blue Sea
Captain's Corageous
The Sea Wolf
Wind
Dead in the Water
A Night To Remember
Captain Ron
Moby Dick

Capt RB
felton

No "Girls Gone Wild"? What sort of sailor are you?

Reminds me of the stories a friend of mine tells me about his
experiences sailing the Mackinac races. He said one boat had some
sort of projector on board that showed pornos on the mainsail. Sounds
like a fun boat on which to sail

On 27 Jun 2003 13:33:22 GMT, (Bobsprit) wrote:

Here's our updated collection of movies on DVD and VHS, kept on board...you
should have them as well!!! In the slip we have a combi player/DVD. We also
have the notebook PC which can play DVDs with little power consumption...great
when on the hook.

Dead Calm
Jaws 1 & 2
Abandon Ship
And the Sea Will Tell
Deep Blue Sea
Captain's Corageous
The Sea Wolf
Wind
Dead in the Water
A Night To Remember
Captain Ron
Moby Dick

Capt RB

jlrogers

http://www.tvguide.com/movies/databa...e.asp?MI=34131

Fans of unashamedly low-brow comedies may well be amused by the eccentricities of CABIN BOY, but more conventional viewers should
probably beware.
Snide, superior Nathanial Mayweather (Chris Elliott) graduates from Stephenwood Finishing School with his future already assured: he
stands to inherit his father's Hawaii-based hotel chain. Leaving the school, he so irritates the limo driver that he is thrown out
on the road without his luggage. He ends up in a seaside village, where he meets a sarcastic Old Salt (David Letterman) who
ridicules his fey appearance and misdirects him to a fishing boat, The Filthy Whore, instead of his ocean liner. Nathanial is taken
aboard by dim-witted Kenny (Andy Richter) and quartered in the cabin of grizzled Captain Greybar (Ritch Brinkley). The next morning,
he receives a rude awakening when he finds himself at sea with a stinking crew of fishermen, including Paps (James Gammon), Skunk
(Brian-Doyle Murray), and Big Teddy (Brion James).

Nathanial persuades Kenny to redirect the ship's course to Hawaii, but Kenny is washed overboard during a severe storm. With his
friend gone, the protesting dandy is made to perform every unsavory task on the ship. He's assigned to "Outward Watch," which
entails spending a week on a raft, and is visited by visions, including the ghost of Kenny and a huge, talking, floating cupcake
that spits tobacco. The delirious youth leaps overboard but is rescued by Chocki (Russ Tamblyn), a fabled half-man/half-shark.
Retrieving the raft, the crew is amazed to find Nathanial happy and well. He is now under Chocki's protection.

When Nathanial spies a woman floating in the water, he's instantly smitten and rescues her with a fishing net. But when the sleeping
beauty, Trina (Melora Walters), awakens, she's furious that her attempt to beat a world swimming record has been thwarted. Later, on
an uncharted island, Nathanial loses his virginity to the legendary six-armed Calli (Ann Magnuson) while The Filthy Whore sails off,
leaving him behind with Trina. A newly masterful Nathanial successfully woos Trina while Calli's jealous husband, a giant named
Mulligan (Mike Starr), seeks him aboard the fleeing boat and battles the sailors. Riding the happily subdued Trina like a motorized
surfboard, Nathanial joins the fight. Chocki intercedes, and Nathanial manages to strangle the giant with his own belt. He bids
Chocki farewell and returns to the crew, who now accept him. At last in Hawaii, the transformed lad confronts his father (Bob
Elliott), renounces his birthright, rejoins Trina, and rides her off in pursuit of The Filthy Whore.

How one responds to CABIN BOY depends largely on how one feels about its star, the abrasively nerdy Chris Elliott. The son of radio
comedian Bob Elliott, he first gained notice as a quirky writer-performer on David Letterman's "Late Night," where he regularly
bedeviled his boss playing disrespectful eccentrics and borderline psychos. Cheap but imaginative, CABIN BOY was shot almost
entirely on soundstages in vivid Technicolor, lending it the charmingly artificial look of 1940s and 50s Hollywood. The film also
draws inspiration from vintage seagoing epics like CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS, as well as heroic fantasy adventures like THE SEVENTH VOYAGE
OF SINBAD and JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS. CABIN BOY offers a knowing and affectionate homage to the low-tech majesty of these earlier
works while providing a surprisingly apt vehicle for Elliott's antics.

The film sank quickly at the box office but floats much better on video. The smaller image befits the gentle nature of the comedy
and its modest conceits. Depending on one's point of view, Elliott is as good, or bad, as ever; the rest of the cast, especially the
fishermen, provide sturdy support. (Profanity, sexual situations.) - Kent Greene

"felton" wrote in message ...
Oh...I just noticed. You missed the best one. "Cabin Boy" with Chris
Elliott and his nautical adventures aboard the "Filthy Whore"

On 27 Jun 2003 13:33:22 GMT, (Bobsprit) wrote:

Here's our updated collection of movies on DVD and VHS, kept on board...you
should have them as well!!! In the slip we have a combi player/DVD. We also
have the notebook PC which can play DVDs with little power consumption...great
when on the hook.

Dead Calm
Jaws 1 & 2
Abandon Ship
And the Sea Will Tell
Deep Blue Sea
Captain's Corageous
The Sea Wolf
Wind
Dead in the Water
A Night To Remember
Captain Ron
Moby Dick

Capt RB

SAIL LOCO

If the Boobster had any real class he'd have a copy of Wind on Laser Disc and a
player on board. He'd also have a 30" 16x9 HDTV LCD on the bulkhead instead of
one of those little portable DVD players.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
Bobsprit

If the Boobster had any real class he'd have a copy of Wind on Laser Disc and a
player on board.

I still have a copy of Wind on laser, but the player's put away.

RB
Donal

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
So you admit that you watch DVDs in your slip. What
does your wife wear?

She dresses as as a sea nymph and commands me to dive, DIVE!

When I was a little boy, my favorite story was "Muffin the mule".

I've no idea why I thought that I would share that thought.

Regards

Donal

Jim

"Fans of unashamedly low-brow comedies may well be amused by the
eccentricities of CABIN BOY, but........"

All of the regular respondents in here, in other words. And thanks, no need to
rent this one after reading the review.

from Texas,
James
From the Southern Bay Sailing Club website:
and the Chesapeake Bay, the best sailing area in the world!
To reply, remove "motion" from this e-mail address.