Capt. Mooron

Default Best Deck Gun?

I hear that!!!!

What caliber would you need for golf balls..... with the dimpled surface a
rifling would really make for accurate placement.
FOUR!!.... I mean FIRE!!!!

CM

"Peter Wiley" wrote in message
om...
| "katysails" wrote in message
| Lotta fun can be had with a black powder cannon.
|
| Cheaper: PVC pipe, taters, hairspray, cigarette lighter.....and the
ammo is environmental...

| PVC fractures when you overload it, and black powder is just sulphur,
| charcoal and potassium nitrate, which can be extracted from ****. Very
| environmental propellant.
|
| As for the ammo, IMO it's a better use for golf balls than the
| original one. Never saw the point of walking round whacking balls.
|
| PDW

Wally

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message news:ICNKa.24434

What caliber would you need for golf balls.....

According to my vernier caliper, a randomly-selected golf ball is 41.6mm, or
about 1.635" in old money. That's after wiggling it about to measure across
the high points rather than the dimples. Dunno how that translates to
calibre...

--
Wally
I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!

DS King

"Capt. Mooron" wrote:

Does the idea of a cannon that fires a round projectile propelled by an
explosion of black powder completely evade your reasoning??

It's a little counter intuitive for most people.... actually the powder doesn't
explode inside the gun barrel, it burns.

In regards to a semi-auto .50 cal......

What? A semi-auto .50 cal? What would be the point? I have fired a single shot
(bolt action) .50 rifle, that was a beast for a shoulder arm. Intended to be
fired from a rest or a bipod at least, it was a custom "sniper" rifle and was a
double MOA gun. I could hit a Coke can at about 900 yards, the trajectory was
really flat. The man who commissioned it was a match champ, he could hit a
bowling pin at 1500 yards every time. In theory the gun was capable of accurate
fire at 2200 yards but he had not worked up the loads for max range.

I've seen ads for semiauto .50 cal assault style rifles, they seemed to be for
Rambo wanna bees.

An M2 is a fully automatic weapon.

Friggin' amateur... you'd alter
the ejection port and mount it to the best location/elevation.

Alter the ejection port? IIRC you can set the feed tray on the M2 on either
side, but I'd be very very dubious about 'altering' anything about a piece of
machinery that releases that much horsepower that fast.

You're a dipstick Horvath!

Why state the obvious?

DSK

Gerard Weatherby

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:08:02 -0400, DS King wrote:

It's a little counter intuitive for most people.... actually the powder doesn't
explode inside the gun barrel, it burns.

Oxidation by any other name would smell as acrid.

What's the dividing line between burning and exploding?

S/V Cat's Meow
http://www.catsmeow.org
Vito

katysails wrote:

I don't play with guns...I shoot em...have a whole bunch of me....just don't know why they need to be discussed all the time....

Well then (grin) quit jackin yer jaws and answer this poor newbie's (me)
question.

jlrogers

"Gerard Weatherby" wrote in message ...
Oxidation by any other name would smell as acrid.

Yeah, the proof is in the gas.
katysails

Well then (grin) quit jackin yer jaws and answer this poor newbie's (me)
question.
Your question was long ago and far away.....The answer is ....maybe?

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Danny Taddei

this has been a truly fun thread to read but if you want a practical
answer to your question you will likely have to detail the question to a
specific area.

Im the bahamas and miami you won't have an eye batted at you for
carrying guns of just about any kind. People there know that if you are
out and something happens you need to be able to take care of yourself.
I was stopped mid gulf stream but the uscg. they asked why I had a 357
and I said to shot anyone that got on board. They asked why I had a
shotgun and I said to stop anyone trying to get on board. they asked why
I was carrying a SKS10 assault rifle and I said to shot anyone I
needed to hit that was out of range of my shotgun and they said - OK.

In Golfito Costa Rica the port captain asked if I had any guns. I told
him no and then he gave me a lecture about why I should and trying to
make me go out and by one with his help.

In California I had a gun on board and someone saw it. Within 20 minutes
I had local police and the harbour patrol on my boat illegally to search
it. I had to radio the uscg to have them intervene.

it just depends on the area you are in to know how people will react to
you having guns on board. Just remember that it is a lot easier to be
judged by 12 then it is to get carried by 6.

Vito wrote:
Do y'all mount those new 25mm rapid fire guns or will a "Ma Duece" or
simply a .30 cal do?

Seriously, what are the legal and technical ramifications of firearms on
yachts?

TIA
Vito

--
Danny Taddei
e-mail me at (remove no-worms-in-a-)

Jonathan Ganz

Carrying guns on a boat is a foolish and dangerous thing to
do. You're not going to be able to stop the really bad guys
with your puny little weapons. You're just inviting people to
shoot back. Let them take your crap and then get some more.

Vito wrote:
Do y'all mount those new 25mm rapid fire guns or will a "Ma Duece" or
simply a .30 cal do?

Seriously, what are the legal and technical ramifications of firearms on
yachts?

TIA
Vito

--
Danny Taddei
e-mail me at (remove no-worms-in-a-)

There's a horizon on every side. Let your soul inside be the guide and
lead the way.
http://members.cox.net/sandycove/index.html

Danny Taddei

Spoken like a true liberal! Just what do you think a bad guy is going to
do after he takes your stuff? Is he going to say thanks and tell you
that is has been nice meeting you and ask you to please don't tell
anyone? In fact, guns have stopped the bad guys. I have stopped the bad
guys on more occasions then one. I have absolutely no problem with that
and actually feel really good about helping to rid the world of slime
that would have only hurt another person next. the constables were very
happy too. You can take your bend over and take it in the butt attitude
and go back to your fearful cave. I prefer to take care of myself and
family before worrying about offending the weak cry babies of the world.
The only thing foolish about having a gun on board is if you decided not
to use it should the need rise!