posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Fid question for the salts here.

If I buy a good fid for $10, but haven't used it after 3 years, and
the same fid now costs $8, is mine still worth $10?
Think before you answer.
Might be a trick question.
Leave the straw in the hayloft.

--Vic
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 26, 5:30*pm, Vic Smith wrote:
If I buy a good fid for $10, but haven't used it after 3 years, and
the same fid now costs $8, *is mine still worth $10?
Think before you answer.
Might be a trick question.
Leave the straw in the hayloft.

--Vic

If it's the same it's worth 8

Joe
posted to alt.sailing.asa

This assumes a used one is worth the same as a new one. It could have lost
value because it's used, or it could have increased in value because it was
used by the famous Vic of RBC :-) But, until you sell it, it can't be
considered a loss or a gain.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
If I buy a good fid for $10, but haven't used it after 3 years, and
the same fid now costs $8, is mine still worth $10?
Think before you answer.
Might be a trick question.
Leave the straw in the hayloft.

--Vic

It's only worth ten bucks provided you've gotten ten bucks worth of use out
of it. Since you never used it, it ain't worth squat (unless and until you
use it enough to get ten bucks worth of use out of it).

What you may be able to sell it has no bearing on present worth. Worth isn't
a function of selling price, rather worth is a function of usefulness.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 16:08:35 -0800 (PST), Joe
wrote:

On Nov 26, 5:30Â*pm, Vic Smith wrote:
If I buy a good fid for $10, but haven't used it after 3 years, and
the same fid now costs $8, Â*is mine still worth $10?
Think before you answer.
Might be a trick question.
Leave the straw in the hayloft.

--Vic

If it's the same it's worth 8

Sound rights if I can sell it for 8.
Can't argue with that.
You got it exactly right.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 17:23:45 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

This assumes a used one is worth the same as a new one. It could have lost
value because it's used, or it could have increased in value because it was
used by the famous Vic of RBC :-) But, until you sell it, it can't be
considered a loss or a gain.

Thought I didn't mention loss or gain, can't argue with that.
You hit the nail squarely.

"Joe" wrote in message
On Nov 26, 5:30 pm, Vic Smith wrote:
If I buy a good fid for $10, but haven't used it after 3 years, and
the same fid now costs $8, is mine still worth $10?
Think before you answer.
Might be a trick question.
Leave the straw in the hayloft.

--Vic

If it's the same it's worth 8

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 20:30:24 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
.. .
If I buy a good fid for $10, but haven't used it after 3 years, and
the same fid now costs $8, is mine still worth $10?
Think before you answer.
Might be a trick question.
Leave the straw in the hayloft.

--Vic

It's only worth ten bucks provided you've gotten ten bucks worth of use out
of it. Since you never used it, it ain't worth squat (unless and until you
use it enough to get ten bucks worth of use out of it).

Even fid fondling might get me to ten bucks pretty quick.
How much were those ball bearings worth to Queeg?
(I got no use for a fid now, except to fondle, toss and flip)

What you may be able to sell it has no bearing on present worth. Worth isn't
a function of selling price, rather worth is a function of usefulness.

Wilbur Hubbard

Yep. And sometimes that's simply a personal notion.
You can make an old boat your castle, but it's just an old boat to
others. You hit a bullseye.