BoatBanter.com

-   -   Whooopeee!!!!! (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/100095-whooopeee.html)

Charles Momsen November 17th 08 01:23 AM

Whooopeee!!!!!

Check out the bailout spending:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/27719011

If I'm not mistaken, it exceeds the Federal Budget by about 50% !!!!!

Whoooooopeeeeeeee!!!!!

Put your hard earned dollars under the mattresses folks, if its where the
government can find they are going to tax it heavily.

Charles Momsen November 17th 08 05:47 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

"Dave" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 18:23:03 -0700, "Charles Momsen"
said:

Put your hard earned dollars under the mattresses folks, if its where the
government can find they are going to tax it heavily.

And now Harry and Nancy want to use it to bail out the UAW.

Wait! This just in:

Democratic Controlled Congress acts recklessly with $700 Billion dollars!

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...1_hHecri880405

The Democrats just hand over an additional 25% of the US budget and demands
no accountability!

The hard working American taxpayers are swindled! Swindled!

By the Democratic Controlled Congress!

The reckless Democrats will destroy your life savings!

And take whatever is left!!!!!!

Can Obama fix the problem?

Hope!

Charles Momsen November 17th 08 06:01 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

Call for a return to the gold standard:

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=9790

The Federal Reserve is doing an outstanding job!

Capt. JG November 17th 08 07:10 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

"Dave" wrote in message
troll sh*t removed

And now Harry and Nancy want to use it to bail out the UAW.

Do you believe that we should allow the Big Three to fail? I'm kinda on the
fence about this... on the one hand, I think we should, because they got
themselves into this mess. On the other hand, this would displace millions
of people.... not exactly the best thing to do in the current economy.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Charles Momsen November 17th 08 07:31 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in message
troll sh*t removed

And now Harry and Nancy want to use it to bail out the UAW.

Do you believe that we should allow the Big Three to fail? I'm kinda on
the fence about this... on the one hand, I think we should, because they
got themselves into this mess. On the other hand, this would displace
millions of people.... not exactly the best thing to do in the current
economy.

Going into bankruptcy and receivership is not necessarily failure. Under
bankruptcy the companies can be restructured, some debts eliminated and
contracts renegotiated. Here's an article you can read and add to your vast
repertoire of MBA knowledge (unless you want to continue parroting the false
dilemma of "allow the Big Three to fail") :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bankrup..._United_States

Charles Momsen November 17th 08 07:35 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

I'm kinda on the fence about this...

Don't worry, the Democrat talking points will be out soon and then you can
be certain of where you are told to stand on this issue.

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] November 17th 08 07:36 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

"Charles Momsen" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in message
troll sh*t removed

And now Harry and Nancy want to use it to bail out the UAW.

Do you believe that we should allow the Big Three to fail? I'm kinda on
the fence about this... on the one hand, I think we should, because they
got themselves into this mess. On the other hand, this would displace
millions of people.... not exactly the best thing to do in the current
economy.

Going into bankruptcy and receivership is not necessarily failure. Under
bankruptcy the companies can be restructured, some debts eliminated and
contracts renegotiated. Here's an article you can read and add to your
vast repertoire of MBA knowledge (unless you want to continue parroting
the false dilemma of "allow the Big Three to fail") :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bankrup..._United_States

You're attempting to educate Gaynze about bankruptcy?
Bwwahahahhahahahhahah!

Hey, he's morally bankrupt so surely he knows all about it.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] November 17th 08 07:45 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

I'm kinda on the fence about this...

Don't worry, the Democrat talking points will be out soon and then you can
be certain of where you are told to stand on this issue.

You know, Mr. Momsen, at first I was really depressed that Obama won. But,
as time passes, I'm starting to think it's the best thing that could have
happened. Why? Because now the idiot liberals who voted for the Marxist
Mulatto will have reality pounded into their thick, Neanderthal skulls as
their entire, comfy economic world, heretofore based on the hard work of the
productive, crumbles around their feet as the productive flee the excessive
regulation and taxation. They will soon know how stupid they were voting for
change and hyped image when they haven't the smallest clue the image is a
travesty or what kind of change they voted for.

One would like to think it's all gonna wake these idiots up but I certainly
won't hold my breath.

Wilbur Hubbard

Charles Momsen November 17th 08 07:53 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

Going into bankruptcy and receivership is not necessarily failure. Under
bankruptcy the companies can be restructured, some debts eliminated and
contracts renegotiated. Here's an article you can read and add to your
vast repertoire of MBA knowledge (unless you want to continue parroting
the false dilemma of "allow the Big Three to fail") :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bankrup..._United_States

You're attempting to educate Gaynze about bankruptcy?
Bwwahahahhahahahhahah!

Hey, he's morally bankrupt so surely he knows all about it.

Wilbur Hubbard

Here's the education----

GM's net assets are listed he

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=GM

As of June 08, they have net assets of $136 billion. The largest bankruptcy
in history occurred in Sept 08 with assets of over $600 billion. It's right
on the bankruptcy link. So why is the concern over GM bankruptcy, which is
only 20% of the largest? Throw in the 2 other automakers and it still is
much less than a $600 billion + bankruptcy.

It's all about having the public subsidize the plush union benefits at the
expense of those who have much, much less.

Look for the union label on the baseball bat coming through the windshield!

Ganz can't be educated. He merely repeats what he is told, very little - if
any - thinking goes on between his ears. But that's Dave's puppet show - an
enjoyable one indeed!

Thankfully we have brilliant, masterful people such as you, Wilbur Hubbard,
to counteract the masses of drooling, unthinking, knee jerk liberals.

Charles Momsen November 17th 08 08:03 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

[...]

I think Obama getting elected is a blessing too, for slightly different
reasons. If he operates as a Democrat, he will kill the economy, most likely
the world economy and everyone will blame the Democrats which is the proper
thing to do. If he realizes the gravity of the entire world situation and
wants to be successful, he can only adopt true conservative principles and
policies. So then he'll have to carry the Bush doctrine forward, with
obvious improvements, and be called a hypocrite by his base and a liberal by
his opponents. As you say, no matter what, reality will be pounded in - the
question is: Can they learn anything from it this time around?

In the Carboniferous Epoch we were promised abundance for all,
By robbing selected Peter to pay for collective Paul;
But, though we had plenty of money, there was nothing our money could buy,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "If you don't work you die."

Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards
withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That All is not Gold that Glitters, and Two and Two make Four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more.

As it will be in the future, it was at the birth of Man
There are only four things certain since Social Progress began.
That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire,
And the burnt Fool's bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire;

And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins,
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn,
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] November 17th 08 08:04 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

[...]

BINGO! The unions have done what they do best. They have priced themselves
out of the marketplace but, since Democrats are beholden to and dependent
upon their Union voting block, Democrat leglislators are going to to do
their best to spread the debt from the union looters to the productive,
non-union private sector. If unions can't recruit somebody legitmately
they're very good at stealing what they want - always have been.

Look for the union label on the baseball bat coming through the
windshield!

Ganz can't be educated. He merely repeats what he is told, very little -
if any - thinking goes on between his ears. But that's Dave's puppet
show - an enjoyable one indeed!

Thankfully we have brilliant, masterful people such as you, Wilbur
Hubbard, to counteract the masses of drooling, unthinking, knee jerk
liberals.

I pale in comparison to you, Dear Sir!!! Keep up the good work.

Wilbur Hubbard

Charles Momsen November 17th 08 08:10 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

:

[...]

Good Wilbur, it is not the torch bearers but the torch itself.

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] November 17th 08 08:16 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

[...]

Speaking of torch bearers, when are those fires ever going to get to
Orangevale?

Wilbur Hubbard

Capt. JG November 17th 08 09:28 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

wrote in message
troll sh*t removed

Oh boy, Momsen, the long windup is great. I can hardly wait for the
pitch!

Sad people. Clearly obsessed. I feel sorry for them.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG November 17th 08 09:38 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:10:45 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

"Dave" wrote in message
. ..
troll sh*t removed

And now Harry and Nancy want to use it to bail out the UAW.

Do you believe that we should allow the Big Three to fail? I'm kinda on
the
fence about this... on the one hand, I think we should, because they got
themselves into this mess. On the other hand, this would displace millions
of people.... not exactly the best thing to do in the current economy.

Absolutely. The big three will never be competitive with the built in
costs
of what they've given away in the past, including bloated wages,
unsustainable pensions, ongoing payments to former workers not to work,
capital costs of non-operating plants...you name it. Throwing more money
at
them just postpones the reckoning and increases its ultimate cost. When
the
Japanese have a $30 an hour advantage in the amount they pay their U.S.
workers, the big 3 are never going to compete.

Yes, the stockholders would get wiped out, or more likely squeezed down to
very small percentage of ownership, with creditors becoming the equity
owners. And management would likely be tossed our. But companies in
Chapter
11 don't generally go out of business (though some do). They continue in
business under new owners. If the car companies could shed nonproductive
assets, get rid of legacy costs and costs of paying people not to work,
reduce their debt service costs and costs of capital, and relocate
operations to right to work states there's no reason they couldn't become
competitive, and without a taxpayer bailout.

Well, I agree that companies don't necessarily go completely under, but my
main concern, which was voiced by both conservative and liberal economists,
is that people would likely not want to buy such a big-ticket item from
companies with uncertain futures. For example, I was considering a
big-screen tv... couple of grand, from Circuit City. But, they're in Chap.
11, so the question is should I be concerned, even though the warranty is
thru the manufacturer. Probably not. But, with autos it's a bit different.
If consumers decided not to risk it, then the sales would go to zero or
close to zero (not that they're going gangbusters now). Then, we would have
massive layoffs, not just the UAW, but throughout the stream of suppliers,
dealers, etc. It run into the millions. If this were to happen in good
economic times, then I would be less concerned. But, this isn't the
situation.

I think the Big Three could be competitive, which is what they're trying to
do, for example, by removing the benefits part to a separate trust (I
believe that's what they're calling it). The UAW and other unions would
clearly need to be willing (and they seem willing) to recognize the problems
and renegotiate their packages.

Do you think that this is the time to throw an even greater number into the
unemployment lines?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG November 17th 08 09:39 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 15:12:45 -0500, said:

Total, unmitigated baloney. If costs are the problem, why are Chevys
so much cheaper to buy than Toyotas? Are they selling them for less
than they cost to make?

I suspect so in many cases. Thanks to the enviros, they are required to
sell
a bunch of cars the people don't want to buy in order to be able to sell
enough of the larger cars that people do want. To get people to buy they
have to drop the price on the ones no one wants to buy in order to get
them
sold.

Huh?? Forced to sell cars that don't sell? Nonsense. They may be dumb but
they're not stupid. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

[email protected] November 17th 08 09:50 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

On 17 Nov 2008 15:08:02 -0600, Dave wrote:

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 15:12:45 -0500, said:

Total, unmitigated baloney. If costs are the problem, why are Chevys
so much cheaper to buy than Toyotas? Are they selling them for less
than they cost to make?

I suspect so in many cases. Thanks to the enviros, they are required to sell
a bunch of cars the people don't want to buy in order to be able to sell
enough of the larger cars that people do want. To get people to buy they
have to drop the price on the ones no one wants to buy in order to get them
sold.

More baloney. Toyota is obviously making cars that people want, and
they have to meet all the same standards as Chevy and everybody else.
Toyota is selling more cars, despite charging substantially more for
similarly sized and equipped models. Please explain how that is
possible. They may be paying their labor less money, but they sure
aren't competing on price, so labor costs are obviously not a factor.

[email protected] November 17th 08 09:53 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 13:28:14 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
troll sh*t removed

Oh boy, Momsen, the long windup is great. I can hardly wait for the
pitch!

Sad people. Clearly obsessed. I feel sorry for them.

I think you are missing something on this one, Jon. Just be patient...

Capt. JG November 17th 08 09:56 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 13:28:14 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
troll sh*t removed

Oh boy, Momsen, the long windup is great. I can hardly wait for the
pitch!

Sad people. Clearly obsessed. I feel sorry for them.

I think you are missing something on this one, Jon. Just be patient...

I miss a lot these days. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG November 17th 08 10:54 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 13:38:38 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

I think the Big Three could be competitive, which is what they're trying
do, for example, by removing the benefits part to a separate trust (I
believe that's what they're calling it). The UAW and other unions would
clearly need to be willing (and they seem willing) to recognize the
problems
and renegotiate their packages.

I haven't heard anything about a willingness to give up having the big
three
pay wages to people who aren't working. Have you? Do you really think the
UAW is going to agree to something that would close that $30 an hour wage
gap? I don't think so.

I have a very hard time believing that any company would pay someone not to
work. It certainly can't be significant, given the other huge benefit costs,
which is the major contributor to the cost of their autos/trucks. What's the
percentage? I'd be interested to know. As far as giving up part of their
wages, it seems to me that if one has a choice between a job that pays a bit
less vs. not having a job, it's a no-brainer.

Do you think that this is the time to throw an even greater number into
the
unemployment lines?

We can do it now at a cost, or later at much greater cost. I opt for the
former.

Do you really believe that dumping 3-5 million jobs is a cost we can stand
right now... not to mention an estimated the tax base loss of $200B or more?
You might be right that the cost later will be higher, perhaps even quite a
bit higher, but it seems to me we would be better able to afford it later.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Vic Smith November 17th 08 11:24 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

said:

[...]

Psychological factors, especially "brand loyalty, play a large role in
auto sales. For YTD sales of light vehicles through October, see
below.
GM by itself outsells Toyota when trucks are included. How many
Silverado owners would maintain brand loyalty and switch to
Impalas/Malibus/Cobalts because of high gas prices is anybody's guess,
but Impala sales aren't too far behind Camry, and one could argue GM
is hardly trying.
I understand Impala sales were actually up 9% last month.
High gas prices hit GM particularly hard, knocking their light truck
sales down sharply.
GM's main problem has been not concentrating on keeping brand loyalty
in the auto sector by emphasizing quality and customer service.
And longevity of models. Think about it.
They have nothing with the continuous improving history of the
Camry/Corolla/Accord/Civic.
Instead of improving their competing models, they go to a new model
every 10-12 years or so.
Their management is very short-sighted.
But labor/legacy costs must also be a big factor in their
profitability.

http://wardsauto.com/keydata/USSalesSummary0810.xls

--Vic

Charles Momsen November 18th 08 12:12 AM

Whooopeee!!!!!

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:53:43 -0700, "Charles Momsen"
said:

As of June 08, they have net assets of $136 billion. The largest
bankruptcy
in history occurred in Sept 08 with assets of over $600 billion. It's
right
on the bankruptcy link.

Poor comparison. Financial assets are generally either marked to market,
or
not too far out of line with their cost. Depreciated property, plant and
equipment dating back many years is in no way comparable.

You're correct it's apples and oranges. Thanks for pointing that out. So is
it better to look at replacement cost of the depreciated assets or GM's
market capitalization of under $2 Billion? If the company can be bought in
its entirety for $2 Billion, why wouldn't an investor buy the company,
starve out the union (close the doors for a few years) and put it back in
operation? Assets of better than $136 billion, yet a capitalization of under
$2 billion? Gee, I wonder why no one is jumping on this great deal. Do you
think if GM was capitalized at $1 there would still be no takers? Look for
the union label!

Charles Momsen November 18th 08 12:14 AM

Whooopeee!!!!!

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
wrote in message
troll sh*t removed

Oh boy, Momsen, the long windup is great. I can hardly wait for the
pitch!

Sad people. Clearly obsessed. I feel sorry for them.

Don't feel sorry. People get what they deserve, you included.

Charles Momsen November 18th 08 12:17 AM

Whooopeee!!!!!

wrote in message
[...]

Toyota is only selling more because people haven't discovered Kia, the
minivan of choice with its excellent crash rating. Nothing can stop the Kia
except slightly icy roads!

[email protected] November 18th 08 01:19 AM

Whooopeee!!!!!

On 17 Nov 2008 16:40:02 -0600, Dave wrote:

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:50:56 -0500, said:

Toyota is obviously making cars that people want, and
they have to meet all the same standards as Chevy and everybody else.

Go do a bit more research about the marketplace, and then we can talk. You
clearly haven't done it.

So you disagree with the above? Toyota isn't selling more cars than
Chevy? Toyota doesn't have to meet all the same standards that Chevey
has to meet? I think it's you who needs to do a bit more research.
Make that a LOT more research. You are truly without a clue.

[email protected] November 18th 08 01:22 AM

Whooopeee!!!!!

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:54:13 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

.. .
said:

[...]

Jon, Dave's obsession with the people on the bottom of the pile making
any money is a red herring and nothing more. Labor is not even
remotely at the core of GM's problems.

[email protected] November 18th 08 01:25 AM

Whooopeee!!!!!

said:

[...]

Really? I remember Lots of people driving around in Chevy BelAir's.
That model was renamed Impala in the mid 1950's. How long has the
Toyota Camry been around?

Vic Smith November 18th 08 02:24 AM

Whooopeee!!!!!

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 20:25:54 -0500, wrote:

Really? I remember Lots of people driving around in Chevy BelAir's.
That model was renamed Impala in the mid 1950's. How long has the
Toyota Camry been around?

1983, or 25 years.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...rticleId=46002

The Impala has been 3 different cars since its inception.
The old family RWD V-8 sedan, the '94-'96 Vette engine RWD, and the
current FWD V-6, introduced in 2000.
All totally different cars, and none designed with the long-term goals
Toyota had for the Camry. The Accord has a similar history with the
Camry, and those 2 have been the top selling models in the U.S.since
about 1987.
Maybe GM will continue to improve the current Impala if they stay in
business.
It compares favorably with the Camry/Accord.
The purpose-built Corolla (economy/quality) passed the VW Bug in
all-time sales about 5 years ago and continues to put distance between
it and anything else.
Toyota/Hondas concentration on putting quality in their mainstays of
family cars, and keeping the model names continuously to maximize
brand loyalty is their big advantage.
They've stood behind these cars for warranty issues more solidly than
the Big 3 too.
A pretty simple formula for success. But that's too ****ing
intellectual a concept for the minds of Big 3 management.
BTW, I'm a GM guy. I always get good used cars for a low price.
That's why I was able to retire early.

--Vic

Charles Momsen November 18th 08 03:22 AM

Whooopeee!!!!!

wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:54:13 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

. ..
said:

[...]

Neither is labor at the core of the solution.

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] November 18th 08 03:00 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

said:

[...]

None of these posters have a clue. All are at least slightly brainwashed
into thinking socialism is the answer or part of the answer.

They are 100% wrong!

The answer is a 100% belief in a free market economy, 100% support of a free
market economy and 100% implementation of a free market economy. Crybabies
please leave the building! A free market economy is Darwin's evolutionary
survival of the fittest applied to the market place. Any other system allows
survival of the less fit and the unfit to the detriment and eventual
downfall of the system. Too much dead weight for even the superbly fit to
carry.

It's that simple!

Wilbur Hubbard

Martin Baxter November 18th 08 05:38 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

Charles Momsen wrote:
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in message
troll sh*t removed

And now Harry and Nancy want to use it to bail out the UAW.

Do you believe that we should allow the Big Three to fail? I'm kinda on
the fence about this... on the one hand, I think we should, because they
got themselves into this mess. On the other hand, this would displace
millions of people.... not exactly the best thing to do in the current
economy.

Going into bankruptcy and receivership is not necessarily failure.

Yeah right. Would you buy a vehicle from a company that had filed for
Chapter 11? If so I think you'd be in the minority.

Cheers
Martin

Capt. JG November 18th 08 05:43 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 13:39:47 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

I suspect so in many cases. Thanks to the enviros, they are required to
sell
a bunch of cars the people don't want to buy in order to be able to sell
enough of the larger cars that people do want. To get people to buy they
have to drop the price on the ones no one wants to buy in order to get
them
sold.

Huh?? Forced to sell cars that don't sell? Nonsense. They may be dumb but
they're not stupid.

The problem is not the big three's stupidity (well, it is in part, but
that's another story). The problem is the guvmint's stupidity. All those
Congress critters you elected.

??? Totally strange response. Toyota/Honda and others sell very enviro
friendly cars, lots and lots of them, for more money. GM totally screwed
up... for decades! I'd call that pretty stupid. How is the gov't suddenly
preventing GM from selling cars??????

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG November 18th 08 05:44 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

said:

But labor/legacy costs must also be a big factor in their
profitability.

Of course. And with their labor/legacy cost disadvantage they have to sell
more of the heavier vehicles carrying a higher margin in order to make a
profit. But the guvmint won't let them do that unless they also sell a
bunch
of econo boxes, and if they were to price those econo boxes to take
account
of their higher costs, nobody would buy them.

No doubt their basic strategy is flawed, but it's flawed in substantial
part
because current management's hands are tied by all the past gimmes given
their unions. Wages for people not to work! Sound a bit like income tax
cuts
for people who don't pay income taxes?

HUH?? Toyota sells high end hybrids with a nice margin. What's preventing GM
from selling decent cars??

Gimmes to unions?? These were NEGOTIATED contracts, which the unions are
willing to talk about going forward.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG November 18th 08 05:45 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 20:22:38 -0500, said:

Labor is not even
remotely at the core of GM's problems.

Perhaps you could take you suggestions for how to make money when you're
paying your workers $30 an hour more than the competition to management's
attention. I'm sure they'd be all ears.

Sell better cars.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG November 18th 08 05:47 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

said:

I have a very hard time believing that any company would pay someone not
work. It certainly can't be significant, given the other huge benefit
costs,
which is the major contributor to the cost of their autos/trucks.

You need to do some homework. Google up "jobs bank."

What's the
percentage? I'd be interested to know. As far as giving up part of their
wages, it seems to me that if one has a choice between a job that pays a
bit
less vs. not having a job, it's a no-brainer.

I think perhaps you should 'splain that to the UAW leadership.

You need to try your own research suggestions.

The additional cost is about $1600 per car. That's a lot. But, they sell
crappy cars. The UAW is willing to put "all of the benefits" on the table,
according to their pres.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Marty[_2_] November 18th 08 09:23 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

Dave wrote:
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 14:30:39 -0500, said:

I'm just fatigued from all your evasive running
around the truth,

So what is your version of THE TRUTH, Not at All? What should be done about
the Big Three? Throw taxpayer money at them so the UAW bosses can keep their
jobs?

Dave, you do realize that unions *negotiate* with companies? Both sides
*agree* to a contract and sign it. If the company negotiates a
contract that kills the company who's fault is that?

Cheers
Martin

Marty[_2_] November 18th 08 09:27 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

wrote:
On 18 Nov 2008 13:54:02 -0600, Dave wrote:

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 14:42:49 -0500,
said:

It had ZERO to do with whether the labor was union or non-union, or
how much money they were paid.

$1,000 an hour for everyone, right? Won't make any difference.

The only people making $1000 an hour were in management. Once again
you are avoiding the truth. The workers were not making $1000 an hour.
If they had, it would have made a difference, but they DIDN'T. YOU
have already pegged the difference in wages between Toyota and UAW
workers at $30 an hour. Just another dead red herring to throw on the
pile.

Thirty bucks an hour! Less, much less. Toyota and Honda pay quite
well. (shhh, don't tell Dave)

Cheers
Martin

Charles Momsen November 18th 08 10:02 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

"Dave" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 09:44:47 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

Gimmes to unions?? These were NEGOTIATED contracts, which the unions are
willing to talk about going forward.

You just keep telling yourself that, Jon.

Unions exempt from anti-trust laws.

[email protected] November 18th 08 11:30 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

On 18 Nov 2008 17:01:01 -0600, Dave wrote:

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 15:11:07 -0500, said:

It had ZERO to do with whether the labor was union or non-union, or
how much money they were paid.

$1,000 an hour for everyone, right? Won't make any difference.

The only people making $1000 an hour were in management. Once again
you are avoiding the truth. The workers were not making $1000 an hour.
If they had, it would have made a difference, but they DIDN'T. YOU
have already pegged the difference in wages between Toyota and UAW
workers at $30 an hour. Just another dead red herring to throw on the
pile.

Not a red herring at all. I was simply demonstrating how your claim that the
amount paid labor has zero to do with a company's ability to compete is
ludicrous.

Except we are talking about a specific company, and you went off the
deep end with a nonsensical Hail Mary about paying the assembly line
workers $1000 an hour.

Red Herring. A big stinking Red Herring being ridden hard and put away
wet by a straw man.

[email protected] November 18th 08 11:54 PM

Whooopeee!!!!!

On 18 Nov 2008 17:27:02 -0600, Dave wrote:

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 16:23:50 -0500, Marty said:

So what is your version of THE TRUTH, Not at All? What should be done about
the Big Three? Throw taxpayer money at them so the UAW bosses can keep their
jobs?

Dave, you do realize that unions *negotiate* with companies? Both sides
*agree* to a contract and sign it. If the company negotiates a
contract that kills the company who's fault is that?

Certainly not the taxpayers' fault, is it? Should the taxpayers expect to
absorb the cost of the foolishness of the auto company management and the
UAW workers who followed their short-sighted leaders? I don't think so.

I think you should come up with some scratch and by yourself a new
Chevy to help make it work the way it was supposed to work.

Buying that cheap used Buick was pretty darned unpatriotic of you. No
wonder they are struggling!