Jim Sinsky

Default Starter Kayak Purchase Question

I appreciate the input on paddling gear.

I really did not intend on skimping on the PFD, paddle, helmet, etc., as those
would be used with other kayaks as I upgraded or rented. I also realize that
there are other items needed, such as the roof rack. I am merely asking for
suggestions on inexpensive starter boats.

Mary Malmros wrote:

Jim Sinsky writes:

[snip]
Budget really is an issue right now, so buying a more expensive boat
to "grow into" is not feasable. Thanks for any help.

I'm not one to tell you what you can or should spend, and I'm all
about buying boats on the cheap. However, there are corners that
shouldn't be cut when buying paddling gear. There are a whole lot
of boats that will let you get down class II, maybe not in style and
comfort, maybe not having a ton of fun, but you can do it. A cheap
paddle won't endanger you, unless you get far from civilization and
break it -- at most, all it'll do is give you repetitive injuries.
Paddling clothing can be had cheap at the Wal-Mart, as long as you
stick to synthetics and warm-water paddling -- you won't be getting
any style points, but you can manage. But you really must not cut
corners on your PFD or helmet. You have to get a PFD that fits you
well -- that means snugly -- and is well-made and in good repair.
Used PFDs are always suspect and probably a bad bargain most of the
time -- they lose flotation over time, and there's wear and tear.
As for the helmet, IMO you really should have one on class II, even
in a fall-out-of-it style rec boat. I see experienced open
canoeists doing without helmets on class II, and they know what
they're about, but other folks pretty much need to be wearing a
properly fitted whitewater helmet -- one that doesn't move around on
your head, especially when you're in the water. Don't be tempted to
use a bike helmet or something like that -- it might protect you, it
might not, and you really don't want to take that chance. If you're
knocked unconscious in moving water, your chances of survival drop
way, way down.

Boating on a budget is something that almost all of us do, one way
or another. It's easy to look at the cost of the boat, and overlook
the "you will also needs". IMO, if your budget won't allow you to
buy boats and also buy decent PFDs and helmets, the sensible
conclusion is that your budget won't support kayaking right now.
Save your money and wait -- the water will still be there.

Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield,
Other days you're the bug.