Jim Sinsky

Default Starter Kayak Purchase Question

My wife and I are looking to buy a couple of inexpensive starter kayaks,

under in the $400 price range. We will be doing mostly quiet rivers and
back-waters but may occasionally deal with class II rapids or open lake
water, and if we are lucky, the Gulf of Mexico to play in the waves.
Primarily, however, the quiet water and rarely up to class II rapids,
figuring if we want more, we can rent.

I looked at the Old Town Otter. Would that be a good choice, or can
anyone recommend something else?

Budget really is an issue right now, so buying a more expensive boat
to "grow into" is not feasable. Thanks for any help.