Bruce in bangkok Bruce in bangkok is offline

Default Seeking Raymarine Raystart RS125 GPS owners in Fernandina Beach FL to Brunswick GA

On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 18:47:00 -0400, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 07:36:12 -0600, slide wrote:

An iPhone or Galaxy can display GPS data when out of range of a
cell tower?

===

Absolutely, right in mid-ocean.

Most smart phones have a built in GPS receiver these days, and there
are some very decent charting packages available. For about $25 to
Navionics I have a full set of US and Caribbean charts on my Galaxy
along with a fairly decent little plotting application. You don't
even need a cell phone account to do all that, a WiFi connection will
suffice.

I got ripped off, then. I just bought a Navionics Gold US and N Bahamas
(no Caribbean charts) on a little SD/microSD card for my Lowrance
iFinder H20 hand-held chart plotter and it cost over a hundred bucks.

But, I'm sure the Navionics Gold SD charts are way more detailed
than what Navionics offers for that Samsung cell phone. Not to
mention the plotting function on the Lowrance is probably way
superior to some cheapo cell phone plotter.

I often marvel at how some people operate fifty-foot motor yachts worth
a million bucks and hanging off the bow is a 30 pound SS Danforth -
in other words, all show and no function. So why does somebody
with half a million dollars worth of motor yacht justify using a cell
phone for navigation??

But Gregory, a 30 lb. danforth will hold a boat perfectly well. It
depends on the anchorage and the weather and water.

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok