Rusty O

Default Dual banks with Duo charge?

Several models of Balmar alternators are available with dual outputs. I
believe these are part of their 90, 91, and 912 series models. I have a 100
amp, 12 volt model with dual outputs. It eliminates the need for any
external isolators, Duo-Charge, Echo-Charge or other devices. You still only
need a single regulator with these alternators. It automatically distributes
the 100 amps to the two separate batteries as needed.

If you want to use a single output alternator there are several products on
the market that will sense the charging voltage and parallel the batteries
for charging and separate them when charging is complete. Some of these also
allow you to manually parallel the batteries without a high current switch.
One model is the Xantrex Pathmaker which is available in 100 and 250 amp
models and 2 or 3 battery banks.

The Balmar Duo-Charge is limited to 30 amps of charging to the second
battery. However, it also allows the batteries to be of different
construction. As an example, you could have a flooded cell house battery and
an AGM or Gel starting battery.

I'm sure the Ample Power Eliminator is a fine product. I talked to them at
the Seattle boat show several years ago about a complete charging and
monitoring system for my boat. After that conversation I wrote up a complete
request for quote listing each component I needed. It included a diesel
generator, alternators for the main engine, regulators, and all accessories.
They never responded to my request. If there is no service before the sale,
how much service will there be after the sale? During this same time period
they put a huge amount of energy into a very public ****ing contest with one
of their competitors over who knew best about batteries and how to charge
them.

Two years later I asked them about my request at the boat show. A few weeks
later I received a very sloppy quote that didn't include all the items I
requested. The system now installed has NO products for Ample Power. And it
will stay that way.

Rusty O