NT

Default Best place to buy Sailmail "modem" - SCS PTC IIex

That's the PTC II - not IIe or IIex - tha one's 4 years old and maybe
?? not Pactor 3 capable.

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:52:13 -0500, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

I think there are only two outlets for SCS pactor modems in the US and
they don't discount. On the rare occasion that one comes up on eBay
they go for close to retail. There is on on there now with 4 days to go
and it is at $555 with 14 bids.

Steve wrote:
Good question. I'm just installing a Icom 706MK2G and want to get set up
for SailMail...

I have known that the Packtor modems are very expensive but thought I would
get a transciever/equipment out of the way first. While saving up for this
and waiting for a good deal, I figured the price would drop.

So far I don't see a price drop and suspect that they may be some price
control on this equipment since it seems to be the only 'game in town'.

This isn't uncommon with German technology. (maybe I'm being to general in
that conclusion).

I haven't been in touch with other cruisers lately, so I don't know it there
is anything new or on the horizon that my meet the needs at a reasonable
price.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions