NT

Default Best place to buy Sailmail "modem" - SCS PTC IIex

Where's the cheapest place to get two Sailmail modems.

The is only one manufacturer of Pactor II "modems" and they seem to
have a price fixing lock on the distributors/resellers.

I don't want or need an support - just the cheapest price.

Steve

Good question. I'm just installing a Icom 706MK2G and want to get set up
for SailMail...

I have known that the Packtor modems are very expensive but thought I would
get a transciever/equipment out of the way first. While saving up for this
and waiting for a good deal, I figured the price would drop.

So far I don't see a price drop and suspect that they may be some price
control on this equipment since it seems to be the only 'game in town'.

This isn't uncommon with German technology. (maybe I'm being to general in
that conclusion).

I haven't been in touch with other cruisers lately, so I don't know it there
is anything new or on the horizon that my meet the needs at a reasonable
price.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Glenn Ashmore

I think there are only two outlets for SCS pactor modems in the US and
they don't discount. On the rare occasion that one comes up on eBay
they go for close to retail. There is on on there now with 4 days to go
and it is at $555 with 14 bids.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Steve

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
they go for close to retail. There is on on there now with 4 days to go
and it is at $555 with 14 bids.

Yah! I looked at that one (infact that is the only Pactor on eBay right
now).
Well at least this fellow is offering to include all the interface cables
for my tranceiver model, gotta be worth something..

In the end, I think I will pass for now.. I can do my email from shore as
long as I'm coastal cruising.. Just need the SSB for weather stuff..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Dennis Gibbons

I have one with cables etc that I bought for a cruise that never happened.
Installed it and it worked then took it out. I would sell it if it's not
too much of a hassle.

--
Dennis Gibbons
dkgibbons at optonline dot net
"NT" wrote in message
Where's the cheapest place to get two Sailmail modems.

The is only one manufacturer of Pactor II "modems" and they seem to
have a price fixing lock on the distributors/resellers.

I don't want or need an support - just the cheapest price.

Steve

I'm interested and have sent you an email.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

NT

That's the PTC II - not IIe or IIex - tha one's 4 years old and maybe
?? not Pactor 3 capable.

Steve wrote:
Good question. I'm just installing a Icom 706MK2G and want to get set up
for SailMail...

I have known that the Packtor modems are very expensive but thought I would
get a transciever/equipment out of the way first. While saving up for this
and waiting for a good deal, I figured the price would drop.

So far I don't see a price drop and suspect that they may be some price
control on this equipment since it seems to be the only 'game in town'.

This isn't uncommon with German technology. (maybe I'm being to general in
that conclusion).

I haven't been in touch with other cruisers lately, so I don't know it there
is anything new or on the horizon that my meet the needs at a reasonable
price.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

"NT" wrote in message
That's the PTC II - not IIe or IIex - tha one's 4 years old and maybe
?? not Pactor 3 capable.

Yes, I gathered that from the picture on the ebay ad.. And a little
research in the Pactor and other sites.

Thanks.

Steve

Doug Dotson

I found that one of the greatest uses of the PACTOR-3 mode is
to receive WX data on demand. It is the original source material
so it is crystal clear, unlike what is received in the usual FAX manner.
Sailmail has a capability to do this but it is not as good as that
available via Winlink. At least it wasn't a year ago when we were cruising.

Doug. k3qt
s/v Callista