Jim Woodward

Default SSB selection

I posted the following comments yesterday in a different thread. As
it says, I'm in pretty much the same place as Earl. BTW, there is an
interesting (although perhaps dated) discussion of radios at
http://www.sailmail.com/radios.htm

------

For what it's worth (which may be what you've paid for it), I saw a
lot of SSB radios on fishboats and workboats when we were looking for
Fintry.

Thes were fishboats on both coasts and workboats in the Gulf, places
like Morgan City. All owned by people and companies who squeeze a
penny hard and have experience across multiple boats.

I would say that the market split between SEA and SGC, with Icom
extremely rare (I can't remember one, but I can't swear to it). We did
see an Icom 710 on Tarapunga (ex RNZN survey vessel).

We took a Furuno 1502 around the world on Swee****er and I will
probably buy a 1503 for Fintry. That may change if I find an Icom
salesperson this week at Fort Lauderdale who will give me straight
answers to questions and not go off ranting about the (SE Asia racial
epithet) and (Asia racial epithet) who build their competitors'
equipment.

My experience in the past has been the slurs (same guy, at two
different shows) and a strong desire to upsell (several different
people) -- ask for an explanation of the practical differences between
the 700, 710, and 802 and you get the reasons to buy the most
expensive.

While I hear most of you guys believing in Icom, I am reluctant to
reward unacceptable behavior.

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

(Larry W4CSC) wrote in message ...
The people you speak of would never trust their ships to a radio that
only cost $1800, Icom or no Icom......

The thing is marketed to small boat owners......

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 02:19:58 GMT, Rick
wrote:

Larry W4CSC wrote:

The DSC receiver inside it uses a SEPARATE ANTENNA and has a SEPARATE
SO-239 antenna jack on the back. I guess Icom thinks I have it
installed aboard a Navy destroyer where there are lots of antennas to
connect it to.

How about it's because the radio can be used as part of a required GMDSS
installation on other than toy boats and the law requires a separate
receiver.

Icom thinks that the people installing the radio know what it is and
will install the radio in compliance with the laws regulating that
application.

Rick

Larry W4CSC

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"