[email protected] CB@PrayForMe.com is offline

Default How do I dissolve corrosion between the upper and lower unit on an outboard engine?

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 15:41:03 -0400, "
wrote:

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 00:20:34 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 20:48:39 -0400, "
wrote:

I took that off and looked up into the cavity, nothing. The 5th bolt
is right next to the trim tab going forward. That's ones out

There's a gap now which tells me the corrosion is in the gearing

The corrosion should not be in the "gearing" since that is a sealed
compartment in the foot.

Sorry, got deverted

I mean where the long 'D' shaft goes up into the engine

Water will get up in that area where the
joint you are trying to crack open is.

Which end seems to be stuck, the front or the back?

The front

Some of the Mercurys have a design of shift shaft that needs to be
unscrewed before they will separate but I thought it was only a few
old, midrange 2 strokes.

I checked with the owner of the shop near me and he said it didn't
need to be disconnected. I called him so many times on stuff that I
finally sent him 2 pizzas to say, "thanks"

It is a threaded shaft with a shaft coupler and a lock nut right up
front, coming down from the top.

He showed it to me but said don't worry about it.

I doubt that is it but it is worth a look.

Can you get it to rock side to side?

at the gap?, no.

I'll be out of town until Friday. Hopefully all the spray I did will
have had time...when I get back