Peggie Hall

Default Toilet on a budget

Stephen Trapani wrote:
I need to replace a Groco (sp?) toilet, or I want to, it's old, it
doesn't work.

I'm tempted to go the cheapo route because I'm way over budget already
with all the other crap, um, good stuff I have to buy for the boat ('79
Hunter 33' week/weekender), but because of what I've read here, mostly
from Peggie Hall, I'm reaching up for the Raritan Cricket (because I
don't think the PH II will fit). Is this the right move?

Raritan has discontinued production of the Cricket...the only ones still
for sale are those still left in retailer's inventory. So I'd go with
the PH II or PHC, which is the same pump on a compact base and has a
list price of about $30 less. It's relatively new, so you may not find
it in any of the retail catalogs yet, but they can get it.

Don't guess as to what fits...measure. The dimensions for the PH II are
on the Raritan website at http://www.raritaneng.com If they haven't put
the dimensions for the PHC up yet, call Raritan and ask 'em:
800-352-5630 x 6.

Second question: What's the best way to handle the different floor
mounting bolts, or will they be different?

The mounting bolt pattern for any new toilet, even from the same mfr,
isn't likely to match older models...'cuz mfrs redesign toilets. In most
cases, at least one will match, maybe two. But even in the unlikely
event they all match, fill ALL the holes and redrill to make sure the
new bolts get a good bite...otherwise, you'll have a wobbly toilet.
You'll need to fill those that don't match to keep moisture out. Touch
up any that show with a little paint or a gelcoat patch kit.

The boat was a liveaboard and the toilet seems to be plumbed correctly,
from what I can tell having read the archives here.

If it's below the waterline, you'll needed a vented loop in the intake
between the pump and bowl to keep water from rising in the bowl if the
seacock is left open with the toilet in the "wet mode."

--
Peggie