Doug Kanter

Default New Jersey refueling question......

Actually, I haven't spilled a drop in 4 years of boat ownership. Try harder.
I'm sick & tired of telling my son that one body of water or another isn't
clean enough to swim or fish in, because of some lame asshole or corporation
who thought they had some sort of exemption from being considerate of
others.

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
om...
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

Sure. It's fine. Just accept the fact that if you spill gas in the

water,
anyone who feels like it has a perfect right to kick your ass, toss you

in
the water where you spilled, and toss in a match. The medical bills

could
begin to eat away at whatever you save on the gas.

Well - you are quite the asshole, aren't you.

Spills are a hazard no matter where you fill your tanks. I suppose if
YOU spill gas at a gas dock, setting you ablaze would be appropriate.

I hauled 45 gallons of gas down to my boat on Friday. 15 gallons at a
time. Took about an hour of my time since the retailer is only 5
minutes away. I saved about $15 (You're lucky in this area to find
mid-grade at less than $2/gal at a gas station, let alone a marina).

If there are local regulations against it, then you can't. But it can
be done safely. There is no good reason to assume that filling from
appropriate containers is any more prone to spills that using a 10 gpm
nozzle from a pump.

The same procedures apply. Close doors, hatches, windows. Turn off
all electrical equipment (including the blower). Ventilate properly
when fueling is finished, and check for fuel vapors before turning
anything on.

I will add that I don't care for these new CARB approved gas cans that
are being sold in California. I have found that the one I have have
is more prone to spill small amounts than my older, conventional cans.
I tolerate the flow rate of 2 gpm, but those hokey spring loaded
spouts drip when you upend the can to start the transfer. Not enough
of spill to reach the water, but I hate the dribble on my wood. I now
keep a pair of scissors with the adsorbant pads I use. I cut a small
criss-cross near the edge a pad to make a "bib" that fits around my
fill pipe.

"Jodon2" wrote in message
I'm sorry for being off topic but I cant seem to get an answer to my

question.
Hoping other boaters will help. I just bought a boat and it is in a

municipal
area with slips, not a marina. Can I refuel the boat out of 5 gal

approved
cans? I hate paying $1.99 a gal at a marina. What is the law if any.

Thanks,
Joe. Sorry for being off topic.