Doug Dotson

Default Anchor chain

Pulling the boat using the windlass is a risky business except in the
calmest conditions. I know of 2 boats that have destroyed a windlass
doing this.

FWIW
Doug
s/v Callista

"Kangaroo" wrote in message
I currently have 100 feet of 5/16 anchor chain and a Lofrans windlass. I
am/was planning on adding an additional 100 feet of chain. I purchased a
connecting link that looks like a regular link cut in half. When joined
there are 4 pins that get peened over. The reason for adding the

additional
chain is for setting a second anchor. I would back down on the chain drop
the second anchor and use the windlass to pull the boat forward. If ever
the situation arose that I had to ride on more that the first 100 feet, I
was planning on shackling on a small piece of chain where the connecting
link would be located. So my questions a Has anyone used one of these
links ( they are rated at 1900 lbs ) ? Will it go through my windlass?

Are
there any problems associated with the connecting links?
Thanks and good winds..... Rich