Jessica B Jessica B is offline

Default Cannibal

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 19:33:51 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 18:05:49 -0800, Jessica B
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 19:32:07 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 12:45:51 -0800, Jessica B
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:07:49 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 18:33:15 -0800, Jessica B
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 07:02:08 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

much snipped

Sorry, but I didn't understand even 1/2 of this. Maybe one should not
go sailing if you can't deal with the issues that come up, short of
being run over by a tanker or something?

Sounds pretty simple. Can you deal with a tsunami arrives with no
warning and kills some 5,000 people in your immediate area? A 60 MPH
squall that hits you at night?

Of course not. A couple of things occur to me. First, I thought a
tsunami was only dangerous near land. If that's the case, then how
could it do damage to a boat that's sailing offshore? Second, it seems
like you should be able to handle high winds. Wouldn't you be prepared
for that? Why are you sleeping when there's a storm going on?

snipped.

A tsunami, or any other wave is simply water in motion. Depending on
the length and speed of the wave, the amount of vertical movement is
generally dependant on the depth of the water it is moving in. So you
are correct to say that in deep water they don't have much height, but
simply saying "off shore" isn't a sufficient description as you can be
quite a distance "off shore" and still have relatively shallow water.
in among the S.W. Thai waters, where the Tsunami did the most damage,
waters are generally less then 100 ft.

A "Sumatra", which might be called a line squall in other parts of the
world, is a rather brisk wind that travels fairly rapidly and if at
night generally is bit of a shock.

In the case I mentioned I was sailing north along the E. Coast of
Malaysia on a fine moonlit night with about 5 K. wind. Then, within
only a few minutes it was blowing 60 miles an hour for about an hour.

As in the case of the Tsunami, it has been stated that it is the worst
natural disaster in Thai history. A bit hard to plan for. Squalls
occur, frequently with no warning, certainly not something you can
specifically prepare for other then in a general way that you know it
might blow a bit.

And I don't remember saying I was asleep when the squall hit.

Cheers,

Bruce

Not saying you were asleep. Sorry if I implied that.

As to water depth, in the middle of the ocean there's no dispute
right? No damage. So, you're claim is that in 100 ft of water, the
violence would be great? I recall hearing? reading? about people in
their sailboat in the harbor who rode it out by getting going, then
rescued a bunch of people. Seems to me you're safer moving and away
from the marina, which was my point.

You're saying you can't see a squall coming? You can't be prepared to
deal with it? It just happens and there's nothing that can be done?
Seems wrong to me....