Nick in Spartanburg, SC

Default Would you go long term cruising?

BT, DT.

Consider a trailer boat; maybe even a stink.

We cruise a week or two at a time and bring the boat home in-between.

Nick in Spartanburg, SC
http://www.geocities.com/jeff_nicholas/BBR.html

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
snip
A key part of my plan is that the boat cannot
be such an investment that I would suffer a lot financially if she was
sunk, stolen, or otherwise destroyed while I am away from her. This
means settling for a low level of amenities but I am used to camping
so being on the boat is a luxury even with its comparatively spartan
accomodations.
I have not really worked out how to find places to "leave her" when I
places to keep her (I have never had her in a marina). I have seen
places where I would like to leave her that had NO facilities, not
even a dock or even a road. This would mean long term anchoring
(maybe a couple weeks) and I would like to ask ppls opinions on how
best to do this. Any valuable equipment can be carried with me so
having things stolen doesnt bother me. I can easily disable the
engine making her less easy to steal. Maybe I can use hardened chain
going from a spot locked to her bow cleat to a submerged portion of
the anchor rode. Nothin will prevent a seriously determined thief but
most are less determined and my boat has been purposefully left
looking old and tired. I would even consider dumping dead fish into
the cockpit do deter any kids from using her for amorous activities or
as a home for the homeless.
I'd like to hear other ppl thoughts on cruising concepts that do not
involve "dropping out".

David OHara