Bob Bob is offline

Default The Ultimate Alternator Project

The problem with converting fishing boats is mainly that the engine is
sized for working and as a yacht you don't need all that power. Given
that most fishing boats do *not have plaining hulls likely you can get
along with, say 60 H.P., for cruising at, again say 7 K.

The fishing boat engine is probably sized to haul a net along the
bottom and is likely 1 - 200 H.P. A 70 foot working boat loads fuel by
the ton, not by the gallon as most long distance power boats do.

Bruce

HI Bruce. Im not sure if yo are familure with the typical GOM shrimper
found in TX_LA_MS. They are steel flat bottom trawlers 60'-100' The
size that interests me is the 70s footers. They weigh in about 120-130
GRT with a hull speed of about 12-13 knts. They are designed to drag a
nets at 3.0-4.0 knots all day. thus the 500 HP main.

Not necessarily fuel by the ton.... check out the Cat website engine
specs. 15-21 g/hr is not unreasonable.
20 gal x $3.00 = $60.00/hr for fuel. 15,000 gal fuel tank x $3.00 =
$45,000 for a fill-up. Sounds reasonable to me

But I think Ill stick to my 3QM30 at 3 pints per hour for now I
just thought all the rich people here with 48' yachts would enjoy an
alternative to shoveling more wasted money down a fiberglass lined
hole.

BOb