Bobsprit

Default Crusing, hull speed, Cal 34 ft vs O'Day 34

The Cal being a shoal draft with narrow
beam would not be a good stable platform and would be more prone to
roll over/capsize in overwhelming conditions.

Depending on the specific sea conditions, I'd say that the Cal could ride rough
conditions better (in some cases) than the Oday. Higher beam can be a liability
in some conditions. But let's keep this in perspective: It takes pretty bad
conditions to roll either of these cruisers over.
I'd still expect the Cal to be the sturdier and more capable vessel, though I
admit this is based more on impressions than on factual elements of
construction and performance. There's a Cal 34 from the early 80s at my club
and it's build appears to be pretty good, certainly better than Oday.

RB