posted to rec.boats.building
Bruce in Bangkok[_16_] Bruce in Bangkok[_16_] is offline

Default Jet Outboard Steering

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 19:27:52 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 08:23:09 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 20:04:37 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"deerelk4x4" wrote in message
On Sep 25, 2:45 am, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
If you ever used a PROPERLY installed hydraulic system, you would
never
use a cable system again. It is easy to make mistakes so
you must do your arithmetic before you buy the parts. In the end, the
cost difference is minimal. your assumption of similar
maintenance between hydraulic and cable is flat wrong. There is much
less
maintenance on hydraulic systems. In fact, if designed
and installed correctly there is No maintenance, just occasional
inspection.
Steve

"Bob La Londe" wrote in

As I'm sure you are aware in a lot of bigger outboard applications
it
can be really hard to turn the wheel under high throttle
due to side torque. Its why a lot of (most?) bigger bass boats have
hydraulic steering. Any reason you can see not to go with
dual cable push pull steering on with a jet lower unit? Obviously
push
pull cables require maintenance, but so do hydraulic
systems.

I'm probably going to wrap up the weld & rebuild on The Tin Can Too
in
the next couple months and I have a bigger project in
mind. I already have a decent push pull system laying around from
another boat I cut up and threw in the dumpster a piece at a
time.

Is it recommended to use a cable or hydraulic system with outboard
units. I am building aboat that is supposed to have twin 40's and I
will need a steering system. which is better and easier to install
with least amount of follow-on maintenance.

Hydraulics ARE easier to steer with and require less force to use.
Hydraulics sized properly for your application will last a long time
with
minimal maintenance. Repairs will cost more when it is needed however.
If
you are using counter rotating engines side torque will be less of an
issue
and with the small motors you are using it won't as bad as if you were
running bigger motors anyway. I would still go with a hydraulic
steering
system if I had no steering system already. Tons of bassers had no
issue
steering 150 HP motors with cable steering. As the motors get bigger,
speed
gets higher, and the RPMs climb it becomes harder and harder to turn
under
power with cable steering. I can't imagine driving one of Allisons
world
record setters without hydraulics, but I have two boats with 50 HP
motors
and top speeds of 32 mph and 44 mph respectively that handle just fine
with
cable steering. With two motors as far as I know they only issue is how
you
choose to link your motors together. My dad's inshore / light offshore
rig
has dual motors. I can look at it if you like, but I don't think it is
that
big of a deal. He is running hydraulic steering, but he as dual 150s
back
there.

I would like to point out that when I say cable steering I DO NOT MEAN a
cable drum with ropes and pullys. I mean linear jacketed push pull
cables
made to handle the application.

You seem to be saying that the outboard single push-pull cable is
somehow "better" then a double cable drum and quadrant system?

If this is correct it is a bit confusing why the single push-pull
system isn't used more on sail boats.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say that single cable was superior. It is
not.
I was just trying to point out that for smaller (relatively) outboards
single cable steering is adequate, and in another post I referenced that I
did not have personal experience with single cable steering on outboards
larger than 60HP. Also, I would not have a clue what mechanical issue a
sailboat might have to deal with. I have zero personal experience with
sale
boats... well if you don't count the umbrella trick when operating a
canoe.
LOL.

Perhaps we should use the term "teleflex cable" rather then single
cable. Less confusion.

But my hydraulics are "Teleflex" LOL. Teleflex is the name of a
manufacturer.

Sure and so is Kleenex and like Kleenex teleflex has become a generic
name for a push-pull control cable. As has, to almost the same extent.
Morse Cable.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)