posted to rec.boats.building
DougC DougC is offline

Default the pancake skiff - episode 1

On 8/9/2010 10:28 PM, I am Tosk wrote:
In ting.com,
says...

"Steve wrote in message
What I like the idea of is covering the hull inside-bottom mostly with
floor that is raised a couple inches above the water level of a
typical
load. Then you can install drains/plugs in the sides of the boat
right
at the floor level, and in a bad weather situation (with the plugs
removed) the boat becomes self-bailing.

Sort of like a Water-Letter-Outer?

If it was self bailing why would you have the plugs in the first
place?

For it to be self bailing, won't it require a pretty good flow of water
going past the drain? Probably more flow than can be realized rowing?

The idea is to put a false floor at the waterline and put the holes
slightly above that. The last couple of inches would not "self bail" but
you would get the boat up to the water line anyway.

Yea but but but,,,, same difference, really.

This boat will probably be rated for 700-900 lbs, and the draft will
vary a lot with the load. Most of the time I'll probably be using it
alone, though. So if the waterline is == floor when there is a full
load, then the floor will be higher than the waterline with a light load.
~