Leanne

Default Useful gadgets

Or coastal cruising at night.

Leanne

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote in message

OK, I'll reluctantly forgo the windmeter. Will get the GPS,

hand held
VHF and maybe the knotlog. At least the knotlog will fill the

space
left by the old one that has never worked for the 12 yrs I

have owned
my boat. I have always had a permanently mounted compass and

hand
compass (ok, 2 hand compasses). GPS chart plotters seem sorta

silly
since I imagine its hard to get a good overview of your entire

area
and planned course. Besides, I just like the excercise in

trig in
plotting my position (normally use hand compass, knotstik

towed spd
indicator, and paper charts to do coastal nav, till now, DR

and Loran
out of sight of any marks). I suspected the lazy jacks were

not
really worthwhile which is why I never made them. As far as

Radar and
battery banks, I have two batteries, a 25 watt solar panel and

no
access to shore power for charging although the diesel does a

good job
of that. I do have an old Autohelm autopilot that I love for
loooooooong trips. My sailing is primarily coastal cruising.

Sounds reasonable enough, if you are sailing in a never-foggy

area.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

J36 Gjo/a

"Wanting to meet a writer because you like his work is like

wanting to meet a duck because you like pate."
Margaret Atwood