posted to uk.rec.sailing,uk.d-i-y,rec.boats.racing
Me[_2_] Me[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone know about epoxy?

Andy Champ wrote:
Me wrote:

Okay - got it.
Small traces of contamination of one hardener and another, or one
resin and another shouldn't be a problem, but clean out as much as you
can, and perhaps flush and discard the first bit you pump through to
be safe.

My rant about correct ratios was based on some unfortunate experience
when I was selling epoxy resins years ago. We sponsored a well known
local boat in a round the world race, supplying resins etc to them for
free. By the time the boat arrived in Auckland (1/2 way in the race
in those days) much of the fairing work on the hull below the
waterline had either fallen out or turned to the consistency of cheese
(About Edam style, not as crumbly as Wensleydale, a little firmer than
well-aged brie). As you can imagine, they wanted desperately to blame
someone - and of course, that someone was me. Turned out that the
boatbuilder got in a bit of a rush, and had added extra hardener to
make the fairing compound set faster.

OP won't have seen this...

Martin wrote:

You can clean the pumps with methylated spirits.

... nor this 'cos someone kindly set the follow-ups to exclude the OPs
home group.

Andy

It was me :-0
My free ng provider wouldn't do the x-post, unless fu set as above.