LaBomba182

Default refinishing counter tops

Subject: refinishing counter tops
From: Cindy Ballreich

I'm looking for
something that holds up well in a marine environment, which can
handle the day-to-day bumps, drops, splashes, and spills, and
which will last for as long as possible.
I would also like

something that can be removed without destroying the teak when it
(inevitably) needs to be refinished - which is a concern I have
about epoxy products.

I have been using one part interior grade urathanes for all my interior teak
work for years and years now. Including floors.
They hold up very well, are easy to work with and you can apply several coats
in a day without sanding between coats.
I like the flat, statin or semi-gloss finishes for interior wood.
I have use Zip, Minwax, Carver-Tripp, Varathane etc. all with great results.
Most come in spray cans as well. Which them easy to use for pieces you can take
off the boat.

I see some have recommended epoxy coating. That would work. But epoxy is much
harder to sand and other than perhaps use on a floor, is over kill for what you
want to do.
And your concerns about how hard it would be to remove are well founded.

Capt. Bill