posted to rec.boats.building
I am Tosk I am Tosk is offline

Default trying to find the perfect island-hopping boat

In article 14bdc30e-ce8e-4753-82fc-
,
says...

On Jan 24, 2:27*pm, kyle wrote:
might be a little out of my price range? i saw a 21 tolman widebody
for $25K. *i'm looking to spend about $10k. * would deck boats be
worthwhile to look into or do they not meet some of my criteria
(draft, maybe?)

On Jan 24, 3:57*pm, Frogwatch wrote:

On Jan 24, 12:22*pm, kyle wrote:

hi all,

i currently own a 22ft bayliner bowrider. *we live in tampa, and there
are very nice barrier islands in the gulf just 5 minutes from the boat
ramp. *my wife wants to go more often. i find it difficult to have to
deal with the boat by myself. *i am still quite the novice.

here are a few things that i would like to pinpoint what kind of new
boat to buy:
-shallow draft (current boat is 2.5ft, gets stuck sometimes if we
forget to continuously move the boat based on tide)
-seats 9 minimum (would prefer more)
-large deck for cooler, floats, etc.
-no carpet or upholstery to worry about -- i want fiberglass
everything for easy cleanup (current boat is carpet everywhere-- sand
is a nightmare to clean, cannot just hose the inside of the boat down)
-outboard motor, pref. 4stroke (current is an i/o, so cannot fully
trim motor up)
-has to handle a decent 2ft wave. i probably would not take it out if
it was rougher than that.

thanks for any suggestions,

kyle

Build a Tolman Skiff. *The 20 standard would be tight with 9 people,
however, a 21' wide body might and the 23' Jumbo def would work.- Hide quoted text -

Well, i did say build............

I have never seen the plans for a Tolman, but I would imagine he could
build it (without power) build it for under 10K ?

Scotty