Jere Lull

Default Sea Cocks

In article ,
"John Smith" wrote:

Should sea cocks (under the water line) be ball valves or gate valves?

Another vote to remove all gate valves immediately. Yours will be old
enough that you don't know when they're going to break (or if they've
broken already). I'd be SO worried, I'd haul the boat just do do that
job.

BTW, often it's lots faster to cut old gate valves off than try to
unscrew them. A friend's set of railroad socket wrenches and a 6'
breaker bar with two beefy guys couldn't unscrew ours. A jig saw and
metal cutting blade got rid of it in 15 minutes.

Ball valves are the most usual type you find in marine stores. They come
with or with flanges. For below the waterline in locations exposed to
knocks or stepping on, I prefer the flanged type. Though others say they
don't mate properly with through hulls, the ones I've gotten had plenty
of threads in contact. [Seemed to take forever to screw them on!]

I would prefer proper sea cocks -- the tapered plug type -- but our ball
valves have worked well for just about a decade, so I'm not going to
worry about it.

--
Jere Lull