[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Top of the mast...

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 07:23:16 +0700, Bruce In Bangkok
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 05:56:30 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 16:37:27 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Edgar" wrote in message
om...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
I had to go up and reinstall an errant jib halyard today.

Now I know why a kitten stuck in a tree waits for the fire department
to come get him down...

It's not so much the height - as the sway...

Yeah. I would rather pay someone else to do that if at all possible.

I don't mind it at all but my boat is very stable and I have never had to
go up except in the marina.
I had a good laugh some time ago when my brother climbed the mast of a
boat that was raher too small for his weight and watched him as she slowly
started to heel until he had to let go and drop into the water.

I went up the mast (part-way) in the Med a long time ago to change a
steaming light. It wasn't pleasant at all, and there was hardly any wind or
rocking. Now, I refuse to go unless it's an emergency (so far so good). Took
me 1/2 day to recover from seasickness.

I guess it's not for everybody. I like going up, and everybody in the
marina knows it. I get invited quite often. Standing on the edge of a
roof bothers me, but for some reason, I'm not bothered in the
slightest going up a mast. I now have a system for getting up the mast
on my boat without any help, and I've considered the idea of going up
just to take pictures in nice anchorages I visit.

Mast steps?

Nope.