Default Top of the mast...

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 07:23:16 +0700, Bruce In Bangkok
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 05:56:30 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 16:37:27 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Edgar" wrote in message
om...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
I had to go up and reinstall an errant jib halyard today.

Now I know why a kitten stuck in a tree waits for the fire department
to come get him down...

It's not so much the height - as the sway...

Yeah. I would rather pay someone else to do that if at all possible.

I don't mind it at all but my boat is very stable and I have never had to
go up except in the marina.
I had a good laugh some time ago when my brother climbed the mast of a
boat that was raher too small for his weight and watched him as she slowly
started to heel until he had to let go and drop into the water.

I went up the mast (part-way) in the Med a long time ago to change a
steaming light. It wasn't pleasant at all, and there was hardly any wind or
rocking. Now, I refuse to go unless it's an emergency (so far so good). Took
me 1/2 day to recover from seasickness.

I guess it's not for everybody. I like going up, and everybody in the
marina knows it. I get invited quite often. Standing on the edge of a
roof bothers me, but for some reason, I'm not bothered in the
slightest going up a mast. I now have a system for getting up the mast
on my boat without any help, and I've considered the idea of going up
just to take pictures in nice anchorages I visit.

Mast steps?

Nope.

wrote:

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 05:56:30 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 16:37:27 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Edgar" wrote in message
news:2_6dndWmU80y4bjWnZ2dnUVZ876dnZ2d@telenor. com...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"cavelamb" wrote in message
[...]

You have a modified Top Climber ? as I recall...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:31:57 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

"Edgar" wrote in message
news:2_6dndWmU80y4bjWnZ2dnUVZ876dnZ2d@telenor .com...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"cavelamb" wrote in message
[...]

Completely my own creation. No Top Climber components used. Same idea,
but using better components and several design improvements.

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:58:57 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
Mast steps?

Nope.
You have a modified Top Climber ? as I recall...
Completely my own creation. No Top Climber components used. Same idea,
but using better components and several design improvements.

No offense intended, but i can't imagine actually trying to use that.

A bosun's chair on a rope is one thing. Your hands are (more or less)
free to do something.

But climbing up what amounts to a rope ladder and trying to do anything
beyond snapping pictures is way beyond me.

Richard

I've heard it's pretty straight-forward... you mostly use your legs.

I kinda doubt that's all that it takes.

Jon is correct.

Even with a belly strap around the mast, there would simply be too much
possible motion for my comfort.

What motion? The static line you are climbing is anchored top and
bottom, and is winched very tight. You aren't going anywhere execpt up
and down.

And I suspect you'd have to hold on with hands as well.

You can let go with both hands at any point, and you never have to
hold onto anything other than the ascenders while climbing up or down.

All fun aside, I don't mind going up on a rope.

But climbing a rope ladder? Definitely *not* fun.
I know that one.
Done it in and out of helicopters too many times.

Once again, this is not a rope ladder. I wouldn't use one of those
either.

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:26:21 -0600, cavelamb

Mast steps?

Nope.

You have a modified Top Climber ? as I recall...

Completely my own creation. No Top Climber components used. Same idea,
but using better components and several design improvements.

No offense intended, but i can't imagine actually trying to use that.

A bosun's chair on a rope is one thing. Your hands are (more or less)
free to do something.

But climbing up what amounts to a rope ladder and trying to do anything
beyond snapping pictures is way beyond me.

Professional steeple jacks sometimes use a similar rig with a small
bosuns chair that goes up with them. I talked with one of them once
(on the ground) and he was a rock climber in his spare time.

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:39:07 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:26:21 -0600, cavelamb

Mast steps?

Nope.

You have a modified Top Climber ? as I recall...

Completely my own creation. No Top Climber components used. Same idea,
but using better components and several design improvements.

No offense intended, but i can't imagine actually trying to use that.

A bosun's chair on a rope is one thing. Your hands are (more or less)
free to do something.

But climbing up what amounts to a rope ladder and trying to do anything
beyond snapping pictures is way beyond me.

Professional steeple jacks sometimes use a similar rig with a small
bosuns chair that goes up with them. I talked with one of them once
(on the ground) and he was a rock climber in his spare time.

I'm related to the founder of this company, which climbs things more
challenging than your average church steeple. He gave me some of the
equipment in my rig. More importantly, he gave me a copy of the
company safety manual he wrote, which is a pretty thick book.

http://www.vertical-access.com/

Going up the mast, a better way Frogwatch General 3 September 1st 09 09:18 AM
Up the mast Katie Ohara General 1 August 27th 09 06:23 AM
Up the mast Katie Ohara General 0 August 27th 09 05:39 AM
What's under your mast? Joe Cruising 16 November 6th 07 12:40 AM
Mast Rake and Mast Bend DSK ASA 48 January 16th 04 08:07 PM