slide[_4_] slide[_4_] is offline

Default The perfect boat

Bruce In Bangkok wrote:

Out of curiosity, aren't there any places left where you can moor a
boat. Maybe put down your own mooring and essentially anchor free?

Where do fishermen keep their boats these days?

There's quite a move to control mooring and even anchoring in many US
harbors. Part of it are cities wishing to collect fees for moorages and
part of it is due to those who buy expensive shoreside properties not
wishing to have their views ruined by permanent liveabords who get some
wreck of a boat and moor or anchor it as a solution to cheap rent.

While there are some legal hassles over issues I'm not familiar about,
the cities do seem to be winning.

I even had some fights with homeowners when anchored overnight along the
Inland Waterway. They'd 'protest' me blocking their view (for a night
only) by shining bright spotlights on my boat making the inside quite
bright and thus difficult to sleep.

I do have some sympathy with the homeowners. Many of the liveaboards
quite obviously pollute the area with their black and gray water plus
looking at an array of boat wrecks covered with scrouged junk and
laundry isn't a sight I'd like to see from my windows or yard. I'd also
resent the pollution if I or my family used the backyard beach as a
swimming area.