Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default teak floor coating

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 15:28:15 GMT, (Richard
Casady) wrote:

Good point. Tung oil will dry to hardness as it oxidises, just like
the linseed used in so much paint.

I used to use boiled linseed oil on just about everything wood.
Looks real good rubbed on a nice grain.
They say it'll darken with age, but I never had what I used it on long
enough to find out.
Used it on weathered wood before painting, but I know in some cases it
served no purpose in stopping rot.
Think I used it because I liked the smell of it, and it was a pleasure
to rub on wood and bring out the grain.
Non-waterproof coatings for outside wood is just a fetish.
Stain if needed, then use a good waterproof varnish.
Strip and redo when the varnish fails.
IMO.

--Vic