Jeff Morris

Default Technique for avoiding collision with floating debris......

Avoidance strategies might reduce the odds of collision somewhat, but not enough to
consider the risk eliminated. Radar, for instance, might work in some conditions, but not
all.

This leaves two approaches: one, which has been discussed, is preparing to handle the
damage efficiently. I'd be curious what percentage of collision damages event can be
handled with a collision mat, and how many required abandoning ship. Clearly, when the
damage is too severe, most vessels will sink like the proverbial stone, but there are
certain levels of damage where a mat will save the day.

The third approach is to reduce the odds of the vessel sinking, with positive floatation
and/or collision bulkheads. Multihulls have an advantage, since they don't have the dead
weight of the keel, and the hulls are shaped to facilitate flotation chambers. But any
relatively light vessel can be made reasonably unsinkable. One can make a case that
floatation bags are a better investment than a liferaft.

--
-jeff www.sv-loki.com
"The sea was angry that day, my friend. Like an old man trying to send back soup at the

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
Is there an electronic strategy with alarms to avoid collision with
floating objects while sailing ?

A full description would be appreciated.

Thank you.
--
Courtney Thomas
s/v Mutiny