posted to rec.boats.building
SI SI is offline

Default Gunwale wood

Drew Dalgleish wrote:
Pretty easy to coble a steambox. I just unscrew the downspout off my
garage and stuff a rag in the end. pop the wood in and prop it up over
the electric kettle. Way easier than making up a laminated gunwale and
faster too.

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 00:41:31 -0700 (PDT), timmynocky
wrote:

Not much I can add to the previous advice except to say forget the
steaming.
It=92s not worth the hassle of setting up a steam box for a small one
off job, especially when it=92s easier to laminate.
You can stress bend =BD inch around the gentle curves and laminate =BC
inch on the tighter bends.
It=92s always worth trying to source the lumber as close to home as
possible, just in case you need to go back for more....

Mike

http://www.diy-wood-boat.com

On Jul 10, 12:46=A0am, "
wrote:
I am repairing a fiberglass dinghy which has wooden gunwales. =A0The
gunwale wood is rotten and cracked. =A0The inwale and outwale are about
1/2" by 1 1/4" in section, about 11 - 12 feet in length. =A0Where do I
get a replacement hardwood in this size and do I need to steam bend,
or can I just stress bend it using existing bolt holes? =A0What material
is the best for the least?

I made a box because I had the lumber lying around and I use a turkey
fryer. I have an old radiator hose stuck in a piece of plywood which I
secure to the top of the pot of water with an innertube wrapped around a
few times and tied off.. Stick the other end of the hose in the steambox
and make sure you keep the water level up in the pot...