Edgar Edgar is offline

Default Roller Furling / Roller Reefing

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 20 May 2009 01:30:11 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Ok, the big argument is this...

Does partial unrolling of a roller furling head sail cause damage to the
sail?
(in terms of shape and stretch)

Yea or Nay?

I have foam strips in my jibs which seems to help take some of the
belly out of the sail when partially rolled but IMHO the sail shape
does deteriorate as the sail is rolled up.

However. I also think that for cruising a roller is the only sensible
solution as it allows handling the foresail by one's self. And, yes it
is possible to change head sails alone but it can get somewhat hectic,
particularly in variable winds or with a squall roaring up behind.

I agree with all that has been said but would add that although sails of
modern materials stretch very little, if at all, I would try and avoid
using a new sail partly furled if I possibly could.