Default Lavac heads vs. others

To Peggie and the head heads:

I am intrigued by the vacuum method of Lavac heads: they seem simple
and efficient compared to the frankly sub-par (pun intended) majority
of marine heads I've seen. Peggie, I know you vend and prefer Raritan,
so feel free to make a case. I've never seen Raritan in Toronto, but I
assume I can buy anything I want here.

Most people are day and weekend sailors: most people use the low-end
Jabsco, etc. brands. Myself, I have a Bryson from the '80s with parts
salvaged from another Bryson. (Yes, that was unpleasant). I am
planning for next season a complete overhaul of my heads installation
and I am interested in Lavacs. The price is higher, but the logic
seems sound, and frankly, I value well-built and reliable over cheap
and cheerful.

I have a 30 gallon holding tank (probably the only piece I'll keep)
and it's the Great Lakes, so there's no overboard discharge. Access to
pumpouts is usually not an issue. This boat will likely never see salt
(why start now?) but will see extensive Great Lakes cruising. I have
heard that Lavacs use too much water and are only appropriate for
"weekending". Why? Lots of British distance cruisers use Lavacs with
no complaint, or so I hear.

If not Lavac, then, why, and what are good alternatives. The only
heads firm I have heard nothing but praise for is W-C, and if I have
to go that way, I will. Twice the price and half the frustration seems
like a good trade to me, and most consumer-level heads (I will stay
manual only for simplicity's sake) seem like cheap pieces of
you-know-what.

Feel free to blast away. I want the benefit of experience beyond
wanting for Practical Sailor to revisit the topic.

R.