Justin C[_18_] Justin C[_18_] is offline

Default Water in the rudder implications?

In article , Dave wrote:
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 22:44:58 -0000, Justin C
said:

Has anyone here experience of water in the rudder? What are the
implications of this happening?

Virtually all CSs get water in the rudder. It's SOP in cold climates to
drill a drain hole near the bottom of the rudder, and perhaps one at the top
as a vent, to drain the rudder at haulout, and refit the hole plugs before
launch. The rudders that haven't received this treatment have been known to
split from the expanding water when they freeze.

CSs? What's CSs? Sorry if I'm being obtuse, it's been a bit a stressful
few days, this is our first boat purchase.

I don't think freezing is much of a worry here (England, south coast). I
don't recall the last time the sea froze - I know I was living in
Brighton at the time, and that was over twenty-five ... ummm... twenty
seven years ago. I really can't see it happening in a marina surrounded
by apartment blocks. I'll not sweat that just now.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.