posted to rec.boats.building
Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default Removing Foam Backing

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 20:05:36 -0400, "Garland Gray"
wrote:

My last boat had a foam backed vinyl on the interior. The foam dried up and
fell apart, resulting in the vinyl falling off, but leaving a coating of
glue and the remnants of the foam on the fiberglass surface. I removed this
residue with a variety of methods. A heat gun worked, as did a thick paint
remover (making sure to scrape off and wash from the fiberglass as quickly
as possible).

I replaced the old with a closed cell foam material. First used solvent
based liquid contact cement, but I think you will find as I did that this
can slightly dissolve vinyl material.

I then discovered a water based contact cement from 3M. IIRC, it was about 3
times as expensive, but was so much thinner that it had maybe twice the
coverage. Fumes were so innocuous...almost could say it smelled good. I
ordered this product from a NAPA store. Gallons only. Get several cheap
brushes as they get gummed up.

You mention that if used paint remover should be washed off quickly.
Not to argue but I believe that you should emphasis that most common
paint removers will destroy fiberglass and should be used very, very
carefully.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)