posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] frank.gerry@sun.com is offline

Default Removing Foam Backing

I'm in the process of removing the carpeting inside the cabin of my
sailboat. The manufacturer used carpeting with a foam backing to line
the inside hull as sound and thermal insulation. The problem I found
was that the carpeting pulled out easily but left the foam attached to
the old adhesive on the inside of the hull. I started scraping the
foam off but soon discovered how difficult this is, scraping off the
foam inch by inch.
I was wondering if anyone has run into this problem before and found
a better solution than using a hand scraper. I thought heat gun but
wondered whether I'd poison myself.

As a follow up question, I'm replacing the old carpeting with
Seaquest vinyl fabric. Anyone have any suggestions for the best
adhesive to use. The West Marine catalog lists an adhesive they sell,
but states it's for carpeting. Was wondering if I could use carpet
adhesive or if there's something better.

BTW, the old foam is moldy, it has to come out. I can't just put the
new vinyl over it.