Geoffrey W. Schultz

Default Reef'g line storage?

Jere Lull wrote in
:

Steve wrote:

I have rigged reefing lines (kinda Jiffy) on my mainsail and want to
leave them rigged since they pass through the boom.

The reefing system works fine but when I fully drop the mail sail, I
end up with two long loops of slack reefing lines hanging down into
the cockpit.

I have never had a reefing system like this before nor have I noticed
how other deal with neatly storing these lines.

I could go to the mast and pull the slack out, but then that would be
one more thing (two more lines) to deal with when I want to hoist the
main sail later.

Right now, I just gather up the slack line and stuff it in between the
folds of the sail. I expect that the line may come adrift in a blow or
heavy weather..

That's essentially what we do: As I flake the sails, the reefing lines
go on top before the second flake. If the wind gets underneath the
sail cover to pull the lines out, we've got other problems.

I have pretty much the same system. However, we tighten the reefing lines
when the sails are coming down or are down. Before I pull the sails up I
reach up into the boom (it's open underneath at the end) and pull a slack
loop so that when the main is going up that there isn't any tension.

-- Geoff