Bryan B

Default Marelon seacocks

All the valves on our boat are closed when we are not on board.

We hang the ignition key on the engine intake at the end of the day to mark
it closed. We worked diligently last winter to reduce through hull fittings
from 23 to 9.

I know of to many boats that sank at the dock because the plumbing failed.
Just this year a Gulfstar 50 went down in its slip where we haul. The
engine intake hose burst, what a mess.

We have a friend that asked if we trust our plumbing and why bother to close
everything. His boat is a beautiful new Moody but it has 33 through hulls
and would take half a day to open and close them all. Builders do this
rather then taking the time to build water chests, use stand pipes, and
consolidating intakes. It's real quick and easy to drill a hole and slap a
valve in but it's not very safe.

My 2 cents.

Bryan

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
Steve wrote:
Now let's be realistic; How many boat owners will crawl inside their

lockers
or down into the bilges to remove that expensive hose (double clamped)

from
the valve every 6 months??

If you're gonna be realistic, let's be totally realistic: how many boat
owners ever crawl inside lockers or down into the bilges even to check
the condition of their hose connections and clamps?

Besides, seacocks shouldn't BE inside and locker or down in
bilges...they should be in readily accessible locations so they can be
kept closed except when in use...or at least accessible enough to make
it relatively easy to keep 'em closed when no one is aboard.

Come on Forespar. Get real and get with modern technology!!

Instead of beating up Forespar, go after the boat builders who put
seacocks in inaccessible locations and owners who prob'ly shouldn't even
own boats in the first place....like the guy who emailed me that his
toilet wouldn't bring in any flush water the first weekend after spring
launch and wanted to know if it was possible that the yard had closed
the seacock. "It's possible," I replied, "Have you checked to see?"
"No," he answered, "I don't know where it is." "How long have you owned
this boat," I asked. "Three years."

Somehow I don't think any improvements in seacock lubrication technology
would make any difference to him.

Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"