Frank and Ronnie Maier

Default Newport 30 / Catalina 30 for ofshoresailing

"jens teglman" wrote...
Can anybody help me with the following.
We are new to northamerican sailboats, but have done a lot of sailing in
Denmark where the market a dominated by Swedish boats. We want to go from
Vancouver Island to Caribien and don't really know what is good boat for the
trip.Any tip or suggestion welcome
Thanks
Jim

My $.02 about your question, rather than commentary on the U.S.
political system...

Most people will tell you neither boat is adequate for your
intentions. Me, I'd be willing to do it in a Catalina; I'd prefer
something else, but I'd do it in a Catalina. I would *not* cruise with
my family in a Newport, even in the Caribbean.

At the other end of the spectrum, I disagree with the people who
recommend heavy, full-keel boats. Low D/L ratio, high aspect ratio...
that's the way to go.

YMMV,

Frank