posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing
Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] is offline

Default Zac is a cheater. I'm cheering for the British lad.

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

Spoken like a good liberal. There is a huge difference between effort and
accomplishment in case you've forgotten the obvious. I am not belittling
Zac's effort. I am belittling his accomplishment because, by accepting a
tow, his accomplishment is NOT what he's claiming it to be. He's a fraud
and a liar!

It's that simple. We realists still believe that accomplishment counts
and effort is something any old fool can direct or misdirect. Only when
the effort results in accomplishing the stated goal is effort worth
anything. Get it? Effort and failure is failure. Effort and success is
success. In other words effort has NO meaning as a stand alone process
other than being a starting point.

Wilbur Hubbard

Captain Joshua Slocum is credited as being the first man to sail solo
around the world. And yet he took passengers aboard for day outings during
his circumnavigation. Oh, my! He didn't really sail "solo" at all! Except
that he was careful to, if I recall correctly, return his guests to their
point of boarding before continuing his solo effort.

If Zac accepted a tow to get repairs, his effort will still count as an
accomplishment as long as he returns to the point where the tow began
before continuing his solo. It would only be terminated if he was
attempting a non-stop circumnavigation and had to stop for any reason.

Good Lord, Karin! Talk about bankrupt logic. Using your logic, Zac might as
well sail to a starting point two miles off the coast from the California
marina where he started. Then he can be towed around the world back to that
very starting point then sail back in and he would then have sailed alone
around the world.

Wilbur Hubbard