Eisboch Eisboch is offline

Default Worked all evening on this one...

"Mike" wrote in message

Makes you wonder why we continue to use an archaic system of "telephone"
poles to hang 13,500 volts or more along the roadways.

Why don't we bury it in ditches with the wire's run in PVC conduit?

$$$ Pure and simple.

I am sure it made sense back in the 30's and 40's but the voltage in those
days was a lot lower than it is today. Our house is fed with a single,
buried coaxial cable about an inch in diameter. (looks like a bigger version
of a RG-6 cable company cable). The voltage is 13,500 volts or higher. It
terminates in a step-down transformer located near the house.

It's a bit scary to think that those "telephone" poles are carrying that
kind of voltage, exposed to wind, weather, etc.

Eisboch