posted to rec.boats.building
Doug Siddens[_2_] Doug Siddens[_2_] is offline

Default Opinion: Epoxy Source & Information

The following is my opinion of a good company. My affiliation is as a DIY end user. No recompense, no funny business.

I've been refurbishing our 1973 ketch and have done some epoxy work in that process. I've never worked with epoxy before this. I
talked to several local glass workers and researched on line to learn a bit about epoxy. I searched for different vendors and
their
prices. I settled on a place in New Hampshire called Progressive Epoxy Polymers. (http://www.epoxyproducts.com/main.html)

My first thought was, what a mess of a website. I found it very confusing. Since I first came upon it, there have been improvements
made to make it more "user friendly". Aside from that, the site is most informative to this beginning DIY'r. I was won over by
the
explanations, descriptions of chemistries, MSD's , suggested usages, and personal responsiveness of the owner and his wife. I did a
calculation of prices per ounce, approximating the match of the different brand's products. I realize that there is no way I
can say I'm
comparing the same chemistry of different brands. Nevertheless, Progressive Epoxy prices remain the best I have found.

I've used the Premium No Blush (~15 gallons), Low-V (~2 gal), a putty with kevlar, and some elastomeric stuff. In addition I've
used the fumed silica, micro balloons, ezy-thick, chopped glass & milled glass.

Progressive Epoxy Polymers is my epoxy source, I recommend them.