Glenn Ashmore

Default How Much Fiberglass?? - OurBoat.jpg (0/1)

Is the bottom plywood or planked? If it is planked, fiberglass will
probably be the best thing to kill it. A FRP cover should only be used
to squeeze another 3 or 4 years out of an otherwise unsalvagable hull.
One or two things are going to happen: A) The planks will dry out
opening up the joints and distroying the mutual support that the planks
give each other. Planked bottoms have to be able to move. An FRP
sheath locks the outside fibers in place. Fastners start working out
and the hull looses its integrity. or B) By blocking the salt water the
fresh water from the bilge displaces any residual salt and rot increases.

If the hull is in decent shape now you will be much better off replacing
any rotten planks, recaulking the hull and putting on a decent
anti-fouling bottom paint.

bobsuruncle wrote:

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew how much fiberglass tape and
epoxy i should get to put 1 or 2 layers of fiberglass from the
waterline and down over my wooden hull?

the boat is a 1973 Carver Mariner 28' flybridge sedan.
I've attached a picture so you guys can get an idea of this. we just
bought the boat and want to preserve the hull as best as we can from
rot and damage
Thanx for your help,

Jay.

--