Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Winterizing Questions

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:39:48 GMT, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

I've completed my Down East Circle route cruise and for the first time
since I've owned BlueJacket, I need to really winterize her. I'm quite
good at preparing her for summering over in tropical climates, but this
cold stuff...Burrr!

For all intents and purposes, I've completed the winterization, but I have
a couple of lingering questions:

1) According to the boat yard, they disconnect the cold/in and hot/out
lines to the hot water heater and hook them together. Then they simply
drain the hot water tank. I did this, but I can never get all of the water
out. That makes me concerned, so I fed some anti-freeze into the tank
which will get diluted with the remaining water. Is this OK and/or how do
others winterize their hot water heater?

2) The life raft has water in it. Is there any reason to be concerned over
this? I could just bring it home and store it in the basement.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

How did you like the "down east circle"? We've been thinking about
doing that loop some day.

Regarding winterization, the boat yard winterized the water heater in
the standard way. As long as there is only a small amount of water
left it really can't hurt the tank. You will need to do a great deal
of flushing in the spring to get the anti-freeze out, and it is
important to do that before heating the water heater.

I'd definitely take the life raft home.