William R. Watt

Default Stevenson Projects Micro-Cup

Parallax ) writes:

... I used the 1" #8 screws
instead of the 3/4" ones because I wanted more holding power. They
did go all the way through the stringers. They arent a work of art,
but I think they are ok.

I wouldn't do this on the hull below the waterline. Screws should only go
3/4 of the way into the last piece. When in doubt put them closer
together. However if you are using screws and glue the screws are not that
important. They clamp the pieces togehter until the glue sets. I've
removed the screws and had the glue hold fine. BTW when I have used
oversize screws in a pinch I've ground down the protruding points with a
grinding wheel on an electric drill. Its too easy to grab hold of a boat
somewhere and scratch a finger or palm on one of those points.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm