steveJ

Default What paint to use

Personally, and I am sure there are other high tech solutions to this,
I would use interlux brightside polyurethane enamel. Proper surface
preparation is important including silicone removal. It's easy to apply
with a brush and properly done looks close to being sprayed.
There are better systems but the cost and hazard are not warranted in my
opinion on an older boat. Are you removing the old paint down to gel
coat? What is the old paint? Mabey its just faded gel coat? How fancy a
boat is it? What is the boat worth? How particular are you? These are
the kinds of things you have to ask yourself before you begin.

Pat wrote:
Hi,
I have an older fiberglass sailboat that has had a bad paint job. I am
currently sanding and repairing the bad spots in preparation for painting.

I would like some input as to what paint to use. I will be applying it with
rollers and brushes. I can't afford to have it done and I'm not a spray guy.
I have been looking at Awl grip but am told it's hard to apply and work
with.
What about polyester? Any help would be appreciated.

It's probably been discussed many times but I'm new to the news group.

Thanks, Pat