Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Stone crabs

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 18:57:53 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Last year my 21 yr old daughter went with her BF to the Tampa area and
went out with em to haul stone crab traps. She has been talking about
me putting out stone crab traps. I find that I can legally put out 5
of them but am not sure where to put em. My neighbor this afternoon
said "Put em in the channel where everybody else does" but I'd prefer
a real answer. Google has not been my friend on this. How deep
should they be? Do the Stone Crabs prefer a particular type of bottom?

My uncle always had a couple crap traps tied off his dock on a canal
in Cape Coral. Canal was maybe 4' deep a low tide. Normal canal
bottom, not rocky. Shelly. Just used dead fish for bait, and
sometimes got 3 or 4 crabs a day. Stone and Blue I think.
There are regs on seasons and such that I don't remember.
Be careful with the Stone crab pinchers, as they are poisonous.
First time I tried to get one off my hook he got my thumb, and I
almost fainted from the poison. Had to sit down.

--Vic