Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default headsail furlers -the good, the bad and the ugly...sound off!

On 2008-08-10 07:22:14 -0400, "Roger Long" said:

The furling line should end in a ratchet block and then lead forward to the
cleat. The ideal location is such that you are located about mid way
between the block and the first fairlead. You can then reach down and swig
the line while holding the free end to lock the ratchet block. This lets
you develop quite a bit of extra power without the risk of overdoing it with
a winch ($$$$) and pump in the first few rolls.

On our boat, that would put that turning block well aft in the cockpit,
crossing sheets and the primary -- full-time. That disturbs me. Why not
just go around the primary winch for the short period? You won't have
the jib sheets on it at those times. (BTW, you just described another
form of winching.)

I happen to use a cabin-top winch as our "snub" for the furling line.
(When tying off, I wrap the line a dozen or so times around the winch,
many wraps overlapping previous ones, before going to the cleat.)

I can't winch with the winch as the lead is wrong (coming down), but
with only two blocks in the lead's run, I have very little drag and
have furled the sail in 25++ fairly easily.

I can get a little more power by bracing a foot against the bulkhead;
two feet and "lift with the knees" gives real power, yet I can feel if
the "haul" is wrong (usually the chute halyard wrapping up top).

--
Jere Lull